chapter ten.

The school day ended and Claudia was exhausted. She had to stay for a last minute meeting with all the staff and it felt like it went on for hours but in reality it was just half an hour. Janis was already home making dinner, so when Claudia walked through the door looking tired, Janis immediately hugged her.

"Tough day, sweetface?" Janis asked her daughter. She helped Claudia with her bags and placed them on the table.

"Kind of. Principal Howard wants us to finalize all the grades tomorrow instead of Friday. Most of my kids haven't turned in their work from other classes. I swear that man just wants to see the education system fail." Claudia ran a hand through her hair frustrated at her boss.

Janis walked to the refrigerator and grabbed a juice box for Claudia. She walked back to the table and sat across from her, then gave her the juice box. "The old principal was better. He liked the raspberry lemon bars I made for the bake sale."

"Ma, so did Principal Howard," said Claudia.

"Yeah, but I don't like him," Janis grinned. "He seems nice one minute and the next he fires the art teacher because she was giving less homework and actually cared about the kids."

Claudia frowned. She remembered watching the art teacher, Mrs. Dani, pack her bags and leave the school. She liked Mrs. Dani, she was always in a bright mood and encouraged the kids to express themselves everyday. Principal Howard didn't like it so he did the only thing he could think of. Fire her.

"Ma, do you think I'll lose my job? I mean Howard doesn't know I rarely give out homework, when he doesn't let the kids stay after school for tutoring, I email my kids and tell them we can meet up at the library downtown if they need help. The kids actually talk to me. I'm like their own personal therapist!" Claudia slammed her juice box on the table.

Janis shook her head. "You're not going to lose your job, honey. Howard is crazy if he does and the school would go nuts! The kids love you so much and I don't think they would let you go that easy."

"I just really care about the kids," Claudia drank from the juice box. "How's Edward? Any new secretive projects you found out about?"

Edward texted Janis daily. He kept her updated on his work which made Janis burst with joy. He occasionally sent selfies of him at work, Janis doing the same except hers were pictures of dogs she took care of. Edward loved it nonetheless.

"Oh! British handsome mystery guy—"

"Has a name. Layna told me he played Dorian Gray and Prince Caspian. I'm guessing he's a bookworm." Claudia smiled widely. "If we ever meet again, I might just ask him what books he loves. Did you hear his voice? Oh my god, I could listen to that man talk about books forever."

Janis snorted. "Fucking nerds."

Claudia scoffed. "Excuse me woman, but books are literally my life. I'm an English teacher! Oh god, do you think he likes English class?"

"I hated mine. Teacher was a straight up bitch. Lara used to throw paper balls at her when she had her back turned. I threw notebooks." Janis said with a smile. "I once threw a desk out of a window."

"You sound like you're proud of that." Claudia said. She was certain Janis did more than just throw a desk out of a window.

"I am. It was heavy."