chapter eighteen.

Days passed and Layna was still staying with Janis and Claudia. She liked it. Once she was done with school work, she would help Janis cook dinner or help Claudia grade papers. Sometimes Janis didn't want to cook so the girls would order takeout and watch a movie. That was how most days went, but the day of Edwards's dinner party was here and the girls were invited.

Layna had been to those kinds of dinners before, but Janis and Claudia had no idea how they went. They weren't really the type to go to random dinner parties.

"You should wear this one," Layna held up a white dress that just below her knees and had a square neckline. "it's pretty. What about matching heels?"

Claudia looked at herself in the mirror in front of her. "They should be in mom's closet. She always takes my shoes. We have the same shoe size."

"Got it." Layna placed the white dress on top of Claudia's bed and went to search for matching heels in Janis' closet. Claudia looked at the white dress. She hadn't worn it in years, she was starting to wonder if it would still fit her. She walked to her desk and grabbed her rings, sliding them on her index finger in one hand and middle on the other.

As she finished putting on her rings, she began to look for her bracelet she got a s a gift from her mom. She searched through drawers, trying to find the silver chain bracelet. Instead, she found a small bracelet made of twine and purple beads. Janis had told her about the bracelet before. It was the only thing her dad had given her before he left. Claudia never asked about him and Janis never mentioned him.

She held the twine bracelet between her fingers. It was so small. She chuckled at the thought of her hands being four inches once.

"So I didn't fine all white, but then I realized a white dress with black heels looks better." Layna walked into the room with the heels in hand.

Claudia immediately stuffed the twine bracelet inside the drawer and turned around to face the teen. "Yeah, it looks good."

(:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅)

The girls were seated in a long table. They waited for more guests to arrive while Edward talked with other co-workers. Janis tried to join in on Edward's conversation, but grew confused quickly so she decided that talking with Layna about her time in high school was better.

"I hated school. Everyone in it too. Especially the popular shits who pushed people around. There was this one girl, Emma Miller, she humiliated my friend Lara in front of the whole school, she told everyone Lara's dad was in jail, which was true, but she still had her brother." Janis told Layna.

"What happened then?" Layna asked.

"I ran over her mailbox, ruined her history project and diorama of the solar system, and stuck gum in her hair during third period." Janis said proudly. "I did get in trouble. Spent two whole weeks in detention. Lara convinced the principal to not suspend me."

"You amaze me, woman." Claudia chuckled.

"I amaze myself too."

(:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅)

More guests had arrived to dinner, but Claudia was getting bored. She thought she would find it more entertaining, but it was mostly older people talking about work. It reminded her of her job at the school.

"I'll be right back," Claudia said to Layna and Janis, getting up from her seat and walking to the restrooms.
She opened the door and placed her bag on the counter. She turned on the faucet and felt the cold water hit her skin. Her phone started ringing inside her bag, so she quickly dried her hands and answered the phone call.

"Hey, Claudia." Garrett greeted her.

"Hey, Garrett. Listen, I can't talk for long. I'm at a dinner with my mom's kind of boyfriend right now." Claudia said.

"Oh, sorry. I won't take much of your time. Just wanted to remind you about the end of the year dance."

"Shit, it's next month, right?" Claudia had completely forgotten about the annual dance the school held.

"Yeah, are you chaperoning this year?" He asked.

"Not sure, I haven't thought about it. I'm been busy with . . . stuff." She said hoping he would believe her.

"Well, don't worry. I signed up to chaperone. I think Ms. Raynor did too. She always has fun stories so that'll keep me busy." Garrett chuckled nervously. "I'll see you on Monday then."

"Yeah, I'll see you then. Bye, Garrett." Claudia said into the phone before ending the call. She stuffed her phone into her bag and walked right out the door and into a stranger. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry!" She gasped.

"It's okay, honestly." The stranger looked up, only it wasn't really a stranger. "Are we going to follow each other everywhere, Claudia?" Ben asked with a smile.

"I'm not sure, Ben, maybe you're following me." Claudia chuckled. "No, but I'm sorry about running into you."

"It's okay. It's not like you broke my arm or anything." He teased. "You look lovely." said Ben.

Claudia looked down at her white dress. "Thank you, but look." She showed him her favorite part of the dress which was the pockets. "Pockets! But I'm used to putting my phone in my bag."

"Dress with pockets, an absolute win." He grinned. "I think Edward is waiting for us."

"Edward? Oh yeah, the dinner!" Claudia forgot she was even with her family at a work dinner. "Lead the way, stranger."

Ben laughed. He didn't think she would show up, but she did. And he was glad he could see her once more. He liked her company after all.

An: besties i have an actual job interview on thursday i'm nervous wtf at least i won't be working with my mom again hehe