chapter thirty three.

Ben held onto Claudia's hand tightly. They skated beside each other, occasionally Claudia would skate faster. They moved on from the small skating rink to the bigger one. Less people were on it so Ben was less nervous, but he still believed he was going to fall on his face. As they finished another lap around the rink, the music changed from Madonna to Toto. 'Africa' played through the speakers of the building. Claudia's students often begged her to play that song whenever she put on music.

"Well isn't this romantic?" Claudia said. "I noticed we somehow talk about me, but I'm going to put the spotlight on you, Mr. Barnes, what's your story?"

Ben regained his balance. "My dad is a professor of psychiatry and my mum is a therapist. I also have a brother, his name is Jack."

"Wow, a therapist as a mom. I'll visit her when I'm close to having another mental breakdown."

"She's a relationship therapist actually. She talked me out of my last relationship. Helped a lot." He replied.

"Relationship therapist, maybe my parents could use that when I find my dad," she joked, but Ben looked at her with eyes widened and all Claudia could hear was nervous laughter. "don't worry, laugh if you want. It's a running joke with the English department at school. I promise."

"Okay. . . " he decided to change the topic. "so what's it like being a teacher? Is it everything you ever dreamed of?"

"In a way, I guess. Most of my co-workers complain about the kids, but that's part of the job. Kids. I love my kids. They're my pride and joy. The day they graduate, I'll most definitely be a crying mess in the front row." She explained.

Ben stared at her face as she expressed her love for the students. It was like watching a child play with numerous puppies. She was too excited and could do it forever. And it was true, her kids were her pride and joy. She listened to them, understood them unlike half of the teachers she worked with.

"The way you talk about your job really makes me want to see how you teach. I would definitely like to see english teacher Claudia in action," Ben chuckled.

Claudia turned to him. "The day you see me teaching my kids, give a warning because those kids love to tease me when I have company."

As she smiled at him, her ankle twisted. Her first instinct was to grab onto Ben's arms, but he was surpised by the fall as much as she was. They both ended up on the floor, only Ben landed on top of her. Their faces were inches apart. Ben pushed his body off of her with his arms so it looked like he was doing push ups on top of her. Ben blushed, embarrassed by their current position, but all Claudia could do was laugh.

"Guess I'm not a good of a skater as I though I was." She hid her smile with her left hand.

"Makes two of us," he let out a nervous chuckle.

Claudia stared at him adoringly. Her hand went from covering her smile to his hair that was getting long. She brushed it to the side, despite it falling down again. "I like your hair," she whispered.

"I like your smile," replied Ben.
Claudia retracted her hand and used it to push herself up. Ben took his arms off the floor and sat with her on the dirty scratched floors, but neither of them minded. "do you want to go somewhere else?"

A mysterious place with a person she was just getting to know? She was up for it. She didn't know if this 'somewhere else' was the last place she would be going, but she trusted Ben. Having him around made Claudia feel safe. Something about him made her knees go weak, she felt butterflies in her stomach and whenever he said her name, she swore she was going to melt. Was this a case of love at first sight like Layna had texted her one late night? If it was, Claudia was falling hard.

An: oops sorry if i'm being honest i was forgetting to update this story but anyways thanks for reading :)

my friend helped me write this and she said "bitch she better tell him she likes his hair like beth told benny!1!" so i did my best to write that in idc if it's random but beth and benny have my heart ughhhh time to rewatch queen's gambit

it's 10 pm in texas so goodnight or if it's day for you then idk hi? bye you cute ass bitches <3 😏😍

and before i forget hehe i made the cover for my andrew garfield fic so here ya go

andrew garfield fic but make it sad