Chapter One

Click the star !

Wednesday

Tonight by Sheff G blasted through Mai's airpods as she walked out of her Brooklyn Canarsie home. She walked to the lower part of the house to check on her grandmother before she got on the bus to head to her job at the shop.

She didn't do the hair, she simply made the appointments, cleaned up and hung around when she wasn't busy with school.

She was about to go in her last year of school, at 17 years old she was finishing up high school, they were on summer break at the moment . She wanted to be a therapist, and she was adamant on achieving that title. Her parents died when she was younger in a house fire. That night they were supposed to be celebrating their 15th wedding anniversary. She was with her grandmother that night, she was just turning 5.

Sometimes it bothers her that she can't really remember them, but she still has the little memories stored in her mind, and as far as she was concerned, that was all that mattered.

Unlocking the door she slipped off her black crocs and called for her grandmother.

"GRANNY" she yelled walking through the kitchen.

"I IN DE BASEMENT DALIN, I COMIN UP JUS NOW" her grandmother responded.

Mai shook her head going into the fridge to see if they were any fishcakes left from two days before.

"You ain got food up dae?" She heard her grandmother ask her plucking the back of her neck.

"Aye man." Mai rubbed the spot "I come to greet you and check on you and this is how you treat me ?"

"Yes because yuh too damn licorice." Her grandmother responded.
"You ain got work today?" She asked

"Yeah i was just heading out, you wan meet me at the store later ?" Mai asked her grandmother

"Yeah sure baby, text me the time and ill be there." Darline responded

"Okay granny, see you." Mai kissed her cheek getting ready to head out the door.

"BE CAREFUL MY LOVE" she heard her grandmother shout.

"I will gran gran, ill message you when i get there." She closed the door and began her walk to the salon.

It really wasn't a long walk, just about 15 minutes but Mai was listening to her music and tuning out the outside world, so she got there in 10.

She walked in and greeted everyone.

"Good mornin." She put her small backpack down, sending her grandmother at text letting her know she reached safely.

"Heyy mai baby"
"Hey babygirl"
"Hey mai mai"
"Wussup kid"

She got mixed responses.

The shop was a mixed one, barbers, hairdressers and nails, and she adored that fact. She believed that if it wasn't that way then there would be way too much estrogen and drama in the place, well more drama than there already is.

"Mai baby tell me sum" donella walked up the desk.

"Yeah nelly?" She responded

"What you be playin in them lil air thingys of yours, every time i see you, you got them things in yuh ears and whatever you be listening to got you smiling real big." Nelly said to her.

Mai let out a slight laugh " it depends on the mood, like today i was listening to rap, but yesterday i was listening to the old school r&b, and the day before that i was listening to reggae , and on Sunday i was listening to the new school r and b, so it really depends on how I feel....does that answer your question?" She chuckled. She never really spoke this much.