Chapter Four

Click the star !

Sunday

Everyone sat at Darline's dining table.

Everyone as in Mai, Jamal, Mikah, Gina and Darline.

They were having Sunday lunch after coming from church.

The previous day Mai and Mikah went into the city for him to look at galleries that gave him offers to showcase his art, out of the 4 he narrowed it down to 2, with the help of Mai of course.

They then got lunch at chipotle and went on to look at apartments in the city, which had Mai confused until he told her they were just doing it to kill time because the shit in the city is too expensive in his opinion.

"I wanna get a tattoo." Mai said sitting back down in her chair at the table after using the bathroom.

"What you gonna get?" Jamal asked her, he had a few, a few meaning three. There was one saying "Aniya" which was mama G's middle name, a lion because he was a leo and he had a design simply because he thought it looked good.

Mikah had too, he had one basic one, and that was for his mother, it was her birthday in roman numerals, he was planning on getting something else soon, he just didn't know what.

"I don't know, I don't want it to be big either, ohh i want my nose piercing too." She nodded.

"Just lemme know when you wanna get them, I'll take you." Jamal told her

"Whu you think granny" she turned to Darline who was reading the newspaper.

"Do what you want todo my love." She responded causing Mai to look at her like she was hearing things.

They had conversations about tattoos many times before, and Darline always expressed her dislike for them, but seemed to take a liking to them after the boys got theirs.

"Granny you okay ?" Mai asked genuinely concerned.

"Girl im fine, you turning 18 soon, i know i won't be able to stop you." She shrugged turning the page.

"Wow." Mai nodded.

"Ima let you know bout the tattoo, but i want the piercing soon, like soon soon." She told Jamal.

"Bet, just let me knowwwww, you wanna go to the mall with me, the boys and Leanna today ?" He carried onto ask

She sat there thinking then shook her head "nah im good, im tired, sir ova there decided to take me alllll over yesterday." She pointed to Mikah who was just about to get up to go put his plate in the sink.

"You came with me willingly, don do that." He straight faced her "furthermore i fed yo li greedy ass" he mumbled walking to the sink to wash his hands.

Mai put her hand on her chest in fake shock "im greeeedddyyyyy???" She shook her head.

"You ate half of my bowl bruh, half of the damn bowl, you had a WHOLE burrito, and you ate HALF of MY bowl." He slit his eyes at the girl.

"Okay geez, ain no need for you to be so passionate." She said getting up getting ready to go upstairs, but first she was going to wash the dishes.

"I don need to get-"

"Shhh" she cut him off leaving everyone shaking their heads at the two.

"You don't have to do that love." Her grandmother said after she got up from the table.

"I know, but i want to." She told Darline. "Go and lay down, i know you tired." Mai told the older lady.

"Okay baby, yall know where to find me." Darline said walking towards her room after kissing Mai on the cheek.

**
10 minutes later

It was just the three of them in the kitchen since Gina went to take a nap in the living room.

Mai wiped her hands after putting the last plate into the dish drainer.

"You wanna come to KP wid me tomorrow?" She turned and looked at Jamal.

"No, because im going today." He rolled his eyes at her.

"Okay cause bye, rude ass muthafucka." She mumbled. Then it clicked and a smile came to her face.

"No." Mikah told her.

"Pleaseeee, you drive, that saves me so much money." She smiled at him

"That saves you money.." he pointed at her.
"What about me and my gas money ?" He asked her mouth full of eggo waffles.

Mai curled her lip up. "And you say im greedy." She mumbled
"ILL BUY YOU ONE OF THEN NASTY ASS SALTY PRETZELS." She smiled in his face.

"Why should i drive you after you insulted me...TWICE." He tilted her head at her.

"Because im just that amazing that you need to drive me." She smiled again.

"Stop smiling them ugly ass train tracks..choo choo" he poked her cheek laughing.

"No cause there was no need, ill get a fuckin uber." She straight faced him, about to walk away but he pulled her back.

"I'll take you man" he laughed "fix yuh face brat." He went to poke her face again but she slapped his hand away.

"I ain know part you nasty hands went, next ting yuh know i brekin out." She told her biting a piece of his eggo.

"Leggo my eggo nigga." He pulled his plate closer.

Jamal just sat back watching them. He knew how Mai felt or atleast used to feel about his brother, he also knew something that Mai never knew. Right before he left for college, he had a huge crush on the girl, just never acted on it. Of course Jamal tried to convince to the two to go for it, but they were just too scared and left it where it was.

So Mikah went off to Louisiana for three years, coming back for important holidays, Mai always made sure to avoid him, because she knew that she had to work off the crush, and so that's what she did, and now here they are.

She thought she had it all under control, he thought he did too.

But little did they know that the feelings that they had worked so hard to hide and get rid of were still there, and everyday that they hung out together was just gasoline to the fire that had been burning for a long long time, and everyone around them saw it but them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello there 🙂

Big sigh, i had something to say, now i cant rmbr what i was gonna say. 😔

right. Click the star, turn it orange babe 😗

That is it for now, I'll see yall some other time 😡