Chapter Three

After accepting Kanan's offer of joining the crew, she's offered a bunk aboard the ship. Almost immediately after, just as she settles in to meditate on the will of the Force in this instance, shouting and insistent droid babble floods the ship. Opening one eye, she focuses and, as Ezra tries to seek solace from, what is apparently an angry Lasat, the door shuts in his face. The chaotic sounds of the ship disappear, as the Force focuses around her.

    "Master Gormo," she breathes a sigh of relief.

    "Ar'iabel Quinara, what troubles you?"

    "Well, Master, I don't feel as close to Force as normal, it's as though there is some rift, something stopping me from accessing it as I used to, why would that be?"

    "The Force is there, as it always is, it is merely you."

    "Me," she stands then to face her Master's Master, "What did I do? Why is this happening?"

    "It's not your fault, youngling," at youngling, Keen has to hold back a scoff, "It's the fact that you hid your ability, buried the Force deep inside, not allowing it to show. It was self-preservation, and not one of us blames you."

    She slumps down on the bunk, "How? How do I fix it?"

    "Trust in the Force," with that, Gormo fades, and the Jedi is left with more questions than she has answers for. A knock resounds on the door to her cabin, and she answers it.

    "I'm about to start Ezra's training, care to join me?"

    "I don't see why I shouldn't." She smiles, following the Knight out, and onto the top of the ship, finding, not only Ezra, but, also the astromech, Chopper, and the Lasat, Zeb.

    Sitting down criss-cross on the ship, watching the Padawan train. She watches with mild amusement as Kanan has his Padawan stand on his hands on top of the gun turret, telling him repeatedly to focus.

    "Focus. Focus on letting go."

    "Letting go? Rather hold on, if you don't mind." Keen actually smirks slightly at that, Ezra reminding her of a young Caleb.

    "Enough jokes. Focus."

    The boy hesitantly lifts one arm, balancing with the other, he lets out a groan as his Master repeats himself once again, "I'm trying."

    "Do or do not. There is no try," Ar'iabel mouths the words along with the Knight, knowing what he would say.

    "What does that even mean? How can I do something if I don't try to do it?"

    "Well, see," the Jedi then grumbles a soft curse in Aurebesh, "Actually, I never understood that one either, but Master Yoda used to say it a lot."

    Keen decides it's time for her to speak up, "You either succeed or you fail. You don't attempt to succeed. Say you were in a fight, would you say you tried to win? Or would you say you failed? There is no trying with the Force, only succeeding or failing."

    Kanan actually smiles at the explanation, "Sure, trust Yoda's Padawan to understand his strange sayings."

     Keen laughs, whilst sensing boredom radiating from the Lasat on her left. He lets out a long yawn, stretching his arms above his head, "I really thought this Jedi stuff would be more interesting. No wonder the old religion died."

     The Jedi's eyes snap to the Lasat, her eyes glaring daggers at him, although no malice is held behind them. She had felt anger start to fill her mind, which would have clouded her judgement, and had shoved it out to the Force. She could understand, how, from an outside point of view, the ways of the Jedi could be viewed as boring, although Keen had always thought them peaceful until the Clone Wars. She's abruptly pulled from her reprieve when she hears Ezra yelp, her eyes snapping to Zeb who is shaking the turret.