Chapter Thirty-Four

"Turns out you taught me pretty well," Ezra says, as the door to Kanan's cell slides open.

Kanan looks up as his Padawan enters the room, "You shouldn't have come here, but I'm glad you did."

"You would've done the same for me. In fact, you have," Ezra says, helping Kanan to his feet. "Do you know where they're holding Keen."

With scary certainty, Kanan states, "Across the hall."

The Padawan opens the door to the cell across the hall, to find the Jedi Master slumped forward at a painful angle. When Kanan's eyes land on her, he surges forward. "Is she alive?" Ezra questions from the doorway.

"Yeah," the Knight says, releasing the bonds.

Master Quinara falls to the floor, clearly unconscious. Kanan hefts her prone form over his shoulder, leaning heavily on Ezra. The boy spots her bag sitting on a table across the room, slinging it over his shoulder.

*With the rest of the crew*

Sabine races forward, trailing just behind the Twi'lek and Lasat, shooting at the Troopers. The blaster bolts heading for the rebels bounce off the walls, barely missing them. "I hope Ezra's found Kanan by now."

*With the Jedi*

The three enter into the engine room, to be met by the Sith Lord. Kanan unceremoniously drops Keen on top of the platform, "Let me borrow that," he says to Ezra, gesturing to his lightsaber.

"Yeah, no problem," the Padawan responds, tossing the hilt to his Master. Kanan runs at Darth Vader, the blade held aloft, only to, at the last second, shoot a blast of lightsaber energy at the Imperial, surprising him. He continues to viciously attack, alternating between shooting, and slashing. Ezra looks on in awe, "I never thought of that."

The fighting continues, Kanan slashing with more and more furor, only to be briefly knocked down by Vader. Ezra spy's Kanan's saber dangling from his belt, summoning it to him. He quickly ignites the blade, running at the Sith Lord, Kanan attacking from the other side.

"At last, a fight that might be worthy of my time."

Ezra slashes at the red blade, but he gets knocked off the small platform, as the blade slashes his face, falling down below. "No!" Kanan bellows, pain in his voice. "That was a mistake."

"Why? Because you have no one left to die for you?" Vader questions. "Your precious Padawan is gone, and the Jedi Master is as good as dead."

"No. Because now I have nothing left to fear." He summons his blade, attacking Darth Vader, seeming to not care whether he lives or dies.

*With the others*

"The other troopers are waking up, Hera comments, the unconscious Troopers around them starting to stand up.

"That puts twice as many between us and Chopper," Zeb states, shooting at their pursuers.

"I think I have an alternate plan." The Mandalorian takes cover behind a large beam, the Lasat and Twi'lek following her.

Hera nods for her to continue. She pulls out a small bomb, "Here's part one. Part two, we go to Bay 5."

"Huh. Where your masterpiece is."

"That's got nothing to do with it," Sabine replies. She tosses the detonator at the surrounding Imperials. A bunch of smoke explodes from the bomb, and the rebels make their escape.

"Ezra," Hera calls into her comm, "we're finding another way out. Ezra? Can you hear me? Ezra. Can you hear me? Ezra!"

*Ezra*

Ezra groggily sit up, shaking his head. He can hear Hera calling his name. Fumbling about, his fingers wrap around his comm, lifting it to his mouth, "I'm here."

"Do you have them? Is Kanan okay?"

"Yeah," the Padawan looks up, seeing Kanan winning against the Sith Lord, "I think he's better than okay."

"And Keen, is she all right?" Sabine asks.

"Uh, yeah. Unconscious, but still alive."

*Kanan*

"You're right. I was a coward. But now I know there's something stronger than fear-- far stronger. The Force. Let me show you how strong it is." He drops both lightsabers, summoning the Force around him. The Knight shoves the Sith Lord away from him, over the edge of the platform, down toward the exploding engine core.

"You have no idea what you've unleashed here today," Vader bellows, from where he's clinging over the edge of the platform. "There are some things far more frightening than death!" He releases it's grip, dropping down into the flame below.

"Kanan! Kanan!" Ezra shouts, as he uses the Force to jump up to the higher platform.

"I thought I lost you," he replies, wrapping his arms tightly around the boy.

The Padawan happily returns the embrace. "I know the feeling," he lets the Knight go, walking over to the unconscious Jedi Master. "Are you sure she's alright? I mean, she's been out for a really long time."

"I'm not completely sure. I couldn't tell you the extent of her injuries, but, she's still here, and not dead, so we'll do a scan when we get back to the Ghost."

"Yeah, Let's go home."