Chapter Twenty-Two

Ezra is standing in the middle of a field. Zeb, Chopper, and Sabine are all shooting blasters at him. From outside of the circle, Kanan and Keen are observing.

"You've got the blocking down for the most part but you shouldn't just randomly deflect the energy any which way," Kanan says, and then he gestures to a Stormtrooper helmet, "You've yet to hit the target I gave you."

"'Yet' key word is 'yet,'" the Padawan says, deflecting another blaster bolt.

"Ugh, you're distracted, impatient."

"What's the rush, kid?" Keen asks.

"I don't want to miss Senator Trayvis' transmission."

Keen looks at him confusedly, "You don't even know if he'll transmit today."

"He's been on more frequencies lately, and I have a feeling. Today's the day!"

Kanan smiles at him sarcastically, "Well I have a feeling you're gonna get stunned if you don't stay in the moment. This moment."

Ar'iabel watches the boy focus back on the blasts. His eyes drift slowly shut. He waves his lightsaber, knocking every blast directly into the helmet, successfully knocking it from it's perch. As soon as the blasters stop, Ezra collapses.

Keen races over to him,leaning down over him, on his right, Kanan looming over his left. Quinara places a hand on his shoulder, his eyes slowly blinking open, "Ez, are you alright?"

"Did I get stunned?" he confusedly wonders.

"No, you deflected every blast at the target."

"I saw something."

Kanan's eyes widen, and she glances up at the other Jedi. "Saw?"

"You had a vision?"

Ezra looks between the two Jedi, "I saw Gall Trayvis. Kanan, he knew my parents! It was so real." He stands up, brushing his legs off. "You were there," he points to Sabine, "and you were there," he points to Zeb, "sneaking around in the dark. And Troopers were there. And Keen and Kanan were arguing about something."

"Sounds like a pretty average day," Sabine says.

"Except Senator Trayvis was there fighting side by side with us. And he knew my parents."

"Right. Look, Ezra, just because you want something to happen doesn't mean it will," Kanan says, walking for the Ghost.

"But it might!" he shouts. The Lasat bumps into the boy, almost knocking him over, "Ow! What are you doing?"

"Helping to hone your Jedi powers. Why didn't you see that coming?"

The Padwan seems to consider that for a moment, "Doesn't work like that." The Mandalorian comes up to is side, punching him in the shoulder, "Ow. Stop."

"Maybe if we keep trying," she chuckles.

"Ezra, hurry. He's on!" Hera yells across the field. The Padawan takes off running for the Ghost, bumping right into Zeb. Keen keeps pace with Kanan, "What do you think about this vision?"

"I fear he's putting too much hope in it, and it's gonna backfire."

"His emotions are definitely clouding his judgement, but I hope it doesn't turn out too badly."

"Yeah, here's hoping," he mutters the door to the common room sliding open.

Sabine strolls into the room taking a seat at the table. Zeb walks over, standing with his arms crossed behind Ezra. Kanan and Keen lean against the wall by the door.

"Citizens, Senator-in-Exile Gall Trayvis here."

"Right on time," Ezra cheers. Hera quickly shushes him, pointing at the hologram.

"...with a reminder that the Empire applies the term insurgent to anyone who dares defy their tyranny such as some very courageous souls on Lothal."

"He's talking about us! He said Lothal!"

"I know, here it comes."

"To those Rebels, I have a message. The sun may have set on the Old Republic but a new freedom can be won, if we are brave enough to fight for it today. See you soon, my friends."

The Senator finishes, the hologram snapping back to the Imperials. Hera quickly shuts the table off. "He's coming here to meet us."

"How do you know that?" Zeb inquires.

"My contact, Fulcrum, says the Senator hides coded messages in his transmissions. When the senator mentions a world, it's always the next one he visits."

"How come the Empire hasn't caught onto him yet?" Keen asks.

"Trayvis is too smart. You know, he pirates the Empire's own signal just like my folks used too." A bittersweet smile crosses Ezra's face, he's practically radiating enthusiasm.

"And the clues he puts in his messages, where to meet him, are obvious to the locals, but go right over the Empire's head. Watch," the Twi'lek says, starting up the hologram once again. "He said 'the Old Republic' and 'a new freedom.'"

"Well, everybody on Lothal knows the New Freedom mural. It's painted on the wall in- inside the Old Republic Senate building!" The boy says.

Sabine presses a button on the holotable, bringing up a hologram of the Senate building, "Hmm, been abandoned since the Empire built the Imperial complex. Good place for a friendly get together."

"Yeah, but when's this meeting?"

"Sunset today, pretty obvious, weren't you listening?" Keen asks the Lasat.

"Yeah, too obvious. We should have some insurance in case the Empire is more clever than we think."

Hera looks at Ezra, "You've got a friend inside the Imperial complex, right? So find out for sure."

The boy leaps to his feet, grabbing his cadet helmet, "I'll meet you at my...at my parents' house at 1700," he shouts, racing for the doorway.

"Ezra," Kanan calls, stopping the Padawan in his tracks," About your vision. Don't be too quick–"

"To take it literally? Kanan, I know it's right. You're always telling me to trust my feelings. Well I've never felt stronger about anything in my life," Ezra says, leaving the ship.

"Yeah," Keen mutters, "that's kinda what we're worried about."

(Beginning of Vision of Hope)