Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Well, are you guys ready?" Keen asks.

"As ready as we can be," Sabine replies, hopping onto her speeder. She rushes at the tower, with a crate of oil, which one of the Troopers shoots, causing it to blow up. The Mandalorian shoots at the bucketheads. Zeb, who's across the lot, knocks out one of the Imps guarding the guns. He immediately takes control of the gun, blasting the Stormtrooper's.

"Well, I'd say that's our signal," Keen states, racing her speeder for the tower, Kanan and Ezra, with Chopper on the back of his bike, both right beside her.

The Knight, Mandalorian, and astromech enter the tower. Keen glances over at the Padawan, "Alright, this is where it gets hairy."

He smiles up at her, whipping out his lightsaber, "This? Nah, were just on watch duty. What they're doing, now that's difficult."

Keen closes her eyes, although her mask blocks the movement from the boy, "Let's hope your right."

She grabs her own hilts, not igniting them just yet. "Y'know," Ezra murmurs, "I've been meaning to ask. What's with the mask?"

The Jedi Master shrugs. "Well, for one thing, if the Empire doesn't know what my face looks like, less likely to get caught. I've always worn this mask when I went into battle. The Troopers liked it during the Clone Wars. Said I looked too friendly without it, this apparently makes me menacing. Also, when you aren't hanging out with other Force-sensitives, they can't see all the faces you make. Kinda a win-win."

He seems to consider the explanation, and rather than commenting on it says, "You should ask Sabine to paint it."

"Yeah, maybe I will…" The Jedi mumbles.

Out of nowhere, she senses danger. Looking around wildly, she sees nothing, yet ignites her blades. Ezra lifts his, ready for a fight as well.

Kanan comes running out of the Tower, macrobinoculars clasped in his hands. "Three transpos rolling this way." He lifts them toward the sky, "As well as three cruisers."

"Time's up," Ezra states.

At the exact same moment, Keen says, "It's a trap."

The Knight grasps his comm, urgently shouting, "Sabine, we got targets incoming. Let's move!"

"You said I'd get three minutes."

"Well, now you get one, so hurry up!" he shouts into the comm in response to the Mandalorian.

Keen glances over at Ezra, "Why don't you go and get Zeb."

"I'm staying right here," Ezra declares, readying himself to ignite his saber.

"No," Kanan orders, grabbing the boy's shoulders, "You're getting Zeb then coming back here. Now go!" The Knight grabs his comm, while Ezra rushes off toward the big guns, hopping onto his speeder, "Spectre-1 to Phantom. We're gonna change our pickup."

"Not a good idea Spectre-1."

"Plan's changing. Just get your eyes on the sky. We'll meet you up there." The Knight is waving his blaster around in the air.

"Copy that."

The doors behind the two Jedi slide open, the Mandalorian and astromech racing through, both happy that the signal is working. They try to leave, but Ar'iabel stops them, "We're not going this way, back inside," she orders, as Ezra and Zeb strolls up.

"Are you crazy?"

Kanan looks pointedly at Sabine, "Take the lift. Hera will meet you at the top."

"Wait. What about you?"

"We'll take the next one," Keen informs the boy, not giving the Knight a chance to protest, "Don't worry, we'll be fine."

"Let's go," Zeb grunts.

The four race into the tower, making for the lift. The Padawan glances back once again, worriedly.

"Ezra. I'll be right behind you."

As soon as the boy walks through the doors, the Knight slams them shut through the Force. Both Jedi glance at each other grim-faced. They ignite their blades, standing side by side against a small piece of the Empire.

Agent Kallus steps out of the Imperial shuttle, walking grimly toward the duo, "Now this is a familiar situation."

"Same situation, same ending," Kanan states defiantly, "You lose."

"I don't think so. What did you hope to gain by coming here?"

"Well, you think you're so clever, why don't you figure it out yourself."

The Agents eyes narrow, "There's someone who wants to meet you. If you surrender now. He might let your friends live." The Jedi glance up, just as the Phantom opens it's ramp to allow the other rebels to enter. They turn to look at each other, and both their faces display grim determination. Closing her eyes, Keen disignites her blades, Kanan following suit. "That is unexpected," Kallus mutters.

Keen can sense the nerves that the Knight is feeling, and tries to send some reassurance through the Force, although she's not feeling much better about their odds. "We're full of surprises."

"Spectre-2, get out of here!" Kanan demands into his comm. Ar'iabel's eyes drift up to see the ship still hovering right beside the tower.

"Not an option, Kanan."

"Hera, there's no time to argue, please, just go!"

Even from so far away, Master Quinara can feel the crews panicked and frenzied emotions, as she's sure Kanan can as well. Apparently, the Twi'lek decides it's better for the majority to survive over the few, and leaves. The anger that she feels filling the air as the Phantom flies off.

Kanan glares at the Imperials, "Looks like I have time to meet your friend after all."

A third Imperial shuttle lands on the grass of Lothal, and out steps a face that Keen recognizes well. She closes her eyes taking a deep breath, stopping her anger before it even begins. She glares at him, although the mask blocks that from view.

Well done, Agent Kallus. These are the results I expect. So, you are the Jedi in question?"

"I don't know, Wilhuff, why don't you tell me?" Keen practically snarls.

The Grand Moff faces her, a look of disgust on his face, "Ah, Master Quinara. I heard you were dead, but then the Emperor informs you survived."

Kanan cuts off the exchange, before the Moff says something he'll regret. The Knight sports his glare, "Whatever you want from us, you won't get it."

Agent Kallus hesitantly approaches his superior, "Sir, we have a problem."

"Explain."

Agent Kallus holds out a small HoloNet receiver, "It appears the insurgents have gained control of the tower's transmitter."

Kanan and Keen glance at each other, their nerves slightly belayed, as Ezra's voice permeates the air.

"We have been called criminals, but we are not. We are rebels, fighting for the people, fighting for you. I'm not that old, but I remember a time when things were better on Lothal. Maybe not great, but never like this." As the broadcast continues, both Jedi are drug to the shuttle, as the Imps bring explosives go the tower. "See what the Empire has done to your lives, your families and your freedom? It's only gonna get worse... unless we stand up and fight back. It won't be easy. There will be loss and sacrifice. But we can't back down just because we're afraid. That's when we need to stand the tallest. That's what my parents taught me. That's why my new family helped me remember. Stand up together. Because that's when we're strongest-- as one," Ezra's voice comes from over the HoloNet

Tarkin smiles to the rebels slightly, pressing a button. The tower goes up in a humongous explosion, "You do not know what it takes to win a war. But I do."

(Ending of Call to Action)