Chapter Ten

Master Quinara lands her ship back on Lothal, this time hidden, away from all the occupants of the planet. She senses the presence of Kanan and Ezra, and follows it, relying on the Force.

Keen hears the Knight talking, trying to train his Padawan, so she stands off in the grass, watching them.

"Can we do this another day?" Ezra grumbles. Keen can sense that something is wrong, yet, Kanan persists, still trying to get some training in. It's clear to her that he's trying to teach him how to connect with creatures, and for some strange reason, decides the best way to do that is to antagonize a Lothcat, by throwing a rock at it. If Keen wasn't trying to keep quiet and not draw attention to herself, she'd probably hurl a rock at Kanan, but, alas, she cannot.

"You're resisting. He can sense it."

"He can sense it? What is he, like, a Padawan cat?" Ar'iabel can't help but smile at that.

The Jedi Knight smiles at him, trying once again to get him to focus, and connect with the creature.

"I get that this furball's trying to kill me. Give me your lightsaber, and I'll make the connection." Keen's eyes widen, looking confused, and yet, she can still sense great sadness from the boy.

"Excuse me?"

Ezra sighs, saying, "Sorry. I just don't see the point of this."

"The point is," Keen says, stepping forward, startling the Padawan, "that you're not alone. You're connected to every living thing in the universe. But to discover that, you have to let your guard down. You have to be willing to attach to others."

"And what if I can't?" he asks her, after he calms down from almost being scared to death.

"If you hang on to your past, if you always try to protect yourself, you'll never be a Jedi," Kanan replies

"Then maybe I'll never be a Jedi." The kid says, turning to leave.

"Kid, whatever's going on with you, you need to spill it," the Knight calls after his fleeing Padawan.

Ezra sighs, turning back around, "I'm sorry, Kanan. I don't mean to wear you out. Today's not a good day. It's never a good day."

Master Quinara walks up to the boy, draping an arm over his shoulder, wrapping him in a half hug, while Kanan sidles up on his other side, "Today?" the two ask, practically in sync.

"Empire Day." It looks like he's planning on saying more, but a whirring overhead causes a distraction for them all. Flying over their heads are three TIE Fighters, heading in the direction of a small village, "What are so many TIE's doing out this far?"

"Nothing good. Come on," Kanan says, running in the same direction of the ships. Ezra and Keen following behind him, just at a slightly less urgent pace.

"So, Ezra, want to tell me what's going on with you? And, before you say nothing, I can sense that it's something, and I know when you lie to me," she gives him a pointed look.

"It's just, Empire Day brings up a whole lot of bad memories, but, I'll be fine, I just don't like the day."

Keen sighs, eyes drifting down to the top of the blue mop of hair on the kids head, "Listen, I know that you've been told that a Jedi doesn't listen to their emotions. But, bottling everything up inside doesn't help you, believe me, I know. So, if it gets to be too much, or anything bothers you that you just can't handle anymore, come to me, or even Kanan, and talk. It's healthy, and it will, most likely, help you gain a better connection to the Force."

"Yeah, sure," Ezra mutters, walking into the cantina behind Kanan. He sees an Imperial pilot, and immediately grabs for his energy launcher on his wrist. The Knight holds up a hand, "Not unless we have to."

The pilot grabs a Rodian by the shirt collar, lifting him, a picture of another Rodian on a Datapad, comparing the two. Keen had made her way across the bar, sitting across the room from where the other Jedi and his Padawan are sitting. Zeb, Hera, and Sabine are nearer the door. She can sense a vague recognition from the Padawan, almost as if he knows the Rodian in the picture.

"He's not the one," the pilot grumbles, marching for the bar area, "The Imperial HoloNet broadcast should play here at all times!"

The Hammer-head barkeeper looks at the pilot, replying, "No one's requested it for, well, ever."

The pilot barks at the barkeeper, telling him it's the law, and the alien grumbles, flipping on the HoloNet. The Imperial Announcer is talking about Empire Day, how She'ev 'ended' the Clone Wars, and founded the Empire. The Jedi Master wants to shout something about how Anakin Skywalker single-handedly ended the Clone Wars, but, holds her tongue, not wanting to cause trouble.

"You heard the man!" the Imperial shouts, grabbing the cup of some customer, lifting it into the air, "Raise your cups to the Emperor, Citizens."

Suddenly, the HoloNet cuts out, and Gall Trayvis' voice filters through, he's instructing everyone to boycott the celebrations in protest. The pilot jumps at the bar, shouting, "Shut this off!" at the barkeeper.

"Can't," he shrugs, "It's the law." Keen smiles at the act of protest, and stifles her chuckles, passing them off as a cough, Kanan, from across the bar, glaring at her.

The Imperial glares around the cantina, once again looking for the Rodian, but, once seeing that no one else has entered, he, and his cohort abruptly exit the facility. The doors slide shut, and, almost simultaneously, the HoloNet shuts down.

Kanan turns his attention to the barkeeper, asking questions, as Sabine strolls over, joining the Jedi and Padawan. Keen heads over to see Zeb and Hera.

Sliding into the seat Sabine just left, she smiles at them. "Well, look who finally decided to show up," Zeb grumbles.

"Yeah, not like I didn't just save your life like a week ago." Hera looks at her, asking a silent question. Keen nods, letting her know that the information she provided was invaluable.

"They're after a Rodian," Kanan informs, breezing over.

"Just be glad they're not after us for once."

"With what we've got planned for today's parade, they'll be after us again tomorrow."

"Sorry, wasn't here for the brainstorming, care to inform? What are we doing at the Empire Day parade?"

"Just follow our lead," Zeb tells her, the entire group leaving the Cantina.

"Well, you're gonna have to do it without me," Ezra grumbles, walking in the direction opposite the parade.

"Where do you think you're going?" Kanan shouts after him.

"I just need to be alone. Today has brought back some memories."

The Knight forlornly watches his Padawan. Master Quinara places a hand comfortingly on his shoulder, "I'll go talk to him, you have a parade to crash." She takes off after Ezra, following him to a tower on the outskirts of town.

She stands outside, deep in the Force, and she senses the great sadness radiating from the boy. He steps out onto the platform on the outside of the tower. He leans against the banister and Keen ventures up to see him. "Hey," she says in a soft voice.

"Gah!" he jumps, "You have got to stop doing that! I said I wanted to be alone."

"I know. Just pretend I'm not here, unless you want to talk."

The two stand in silence looking over Lothal for a while, the silence comfortable, until the Padawan starts, "Today's my birthday. And it's not really a great day."

"I understand. But, I can sense that there is more to the story. Do you want to tell me?"

"The Rodian, in that picture. The one the Empire is searching for."

"What about him?"

"I know him...he was my parent's friend, and...I know where he is," he says, and begins to run off out of the tower, towards the festivities. Keen smiles at him, following right behind him.

(Beginning of Empire Day/Gathering Forces)