Chapter Seventeen

**After Arriving back on the Ghost**

Shortly after the Ghost landed back on Lothal, the Phantom docks. Keen looks immediately as Ezra rushes down the ladder, a blur of orange and blue. The boy has his arms wrapped around the Jedi almost immediately. Keen smiles, placing a hand on his head, ruffling his hair. "Heya, kid."

The Padawan looks up at her, "Hi, Keen," he says, releasing her.

"So, which Jedi Temple did you end up at?"

Kanan smiles, coming up to greet the Jedi Master himself. "The one here on Lothal."

"Of course. Makes perfect sense. How'd it go? I mean, considering you're here, and not dying in a cave, I'd say Ezra did pretty well," Keen says, leaning back on the bench in the common area.

The Padawan reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small blue crystal, holding it out between his index finger, and thumb. The Jedi sits forward, eyes slightly wider than before. She shakes off her surprise, smiling at Ezra. "A Kyber Crystal, congrats."

"Yeah, some voice quizzed me, telling me about how you can't want revenge as a Jedi. It was kinda weird, he talked all backwards."

"It was Master Yoda," Kanan supplies, sitting across from Keen.

"Really? Interesting," she deadpans. "So, Ez, what are your plans for your Lightsaber?"

He scrubs a hand through his hair, "See, I was wondering if you had any parts I might be able to use?"

"Yeah, course, c'mon," she gestures standing, heading to her cabin. She kneels in front of the bunk, shimmying a drawer open, one that's filled with spare parts. "Help yourself."

"Wow," he smiles brightly, "Thanks."

*Weeks Later*

After Ezra had taken what he'd needed, he climbed into the ship to assemble his lightsaber. It's been a few weeks, and Keen hasn't seen him since. The Ghost crew were all gathered together in the common room, lounging around, staring up at the ladder.

"He's been working on that thing for weeks. What kind of lightsaber could he possibly build with the junk we have laying around?" Zeb growls.

"Well, I had a few spare parts I found over the years," Kanan shrugs.

"I had some bits and bobs that I snagged from the Jedi Temple the last time I was there," Keen supplies, leaning against the wall.

"And I had some bits and pieces that might work modulation circuits, an energy gate. Chopper even donated a power cell," Sabine supplies. The astromech grumbles helpfully.

"I gave him some additional tech. He was pretty specific about what he was looking for," the Twi'lek finishes.

Just then, the Padawan slides down the ladder. As his feet hit the ground, he spins to face the group. Ezra holds out a square piece of metal, a handhold in the center, from which he grips it. It has the distinct shape on one side of a lightsaber hilt. On the other, there's a small circular hole, of what function, Ar'iabel couldn't guess.

He holds the saber out to his Master, "I thought I'd let you check it out first."

Well, it's different," Kanan says, inspecting the hilt in his hand "But that seems about right for you. Go for it."

The boy takes the lightsaber back, holding it out in front of him. Confidently, he ignites it, the blue blade casting a light around the room, as he gives it a testing swing, a smile painted across his face.

Keen smiles watching the boy. She still hasn't quite grasped why Yoda appeared to Kanan and Ezra, even just his voice. The Grand Master had been warning her since the Purge that no one's to know of his survival. Even though he didn't explicitly state to the two that he survived, it was still a risk, especially if the Imperials are monitoring that Temple.

Kanan must have sensed her turmoil, for he walks over to her, touching her elbow lightly. "Hey, you okay?"

"Hm?" she says, snapping out of her thoughts, "Yeah, just thinking."

The Knight leans on the wall opposite her, "About what?"

"The Jedi. The Temple. Master Yoda. How things would be different had the Empire never taken over."

"Hmmm, I seem to recall something in Jedi Code about dwelling on the past. I distinctly remember something about not dwelling on the past."

The Jedi Master just shakes her head, lightly smacking the Jedi on the arm, "Pretty sure there was something about personal attachments too," she winks.

They both just turn to face Ezra, his excitement almost contagious. He's bouncing around, his hilt on his hands, talking animatedly with Sabine. "Well, who's to say there's much of a Jedi Code left anymore anyway. You and me, we could change it, make a better Order for the future. After the Empire is defeated."

Kanan nods, "Yeah," his eyes drifting over to his Twi'lek lover, "I'd like that a lot."

(Takes place during Path of the Jedi)