Chapter Nine

Master Quinara gets back to the Corundrum, and removes the youngling from his crib, setting him on the ship's floor. Sitting opposite him, Keen shuts her eyes, focusing on the child's thoughts. He does the same, and the two Force-sensitives dive into the Force.

"Who saved you?" Keen questions him, right out of the gate, and flashes cross her vision, flashes of a familiar face. A soft smile crosses the Master's face, "Oh, well that makes a lot of sense, young one."

Grogu coos up at her, reaching an arm up to the Jedi.

"I sense fear in you, Grogu, great fear, and with good reason. Where would you like to go?"

The child coos again, visions of safety drifting through her mind. No specific location, just peace, and security. A safe haven, where the Empire will never find him, and he will be safe. Nothing immediately crosses the Jedi's mind, and, suddenly she sits back, breaking the Force connection.

Keen approaches the cockpit, opening a channel to the Ghost. "Hey, guys."

"Keen," Hera says, and Ar'iabel can practically hear the smile.

"Captain Syndulla, I need your help."

"Well, I'm alone in the cockpit, and, call me Hera, please."

Keen sighs, as the youngling comes over, climbing up into a chair. "What I'm about to tell you has to be between us. No one else can know."

"Understood."

"I have a Force-sensitive youngling in my protection, and I need a safe haven to leave him, where the Empire can't harm him, or find him. Do you know of anywhere?"

"I might. I've heard rumours of a Guardian on the planet Jedha. He protects an old Jedi Temple. He might be willing to keep your youngling safe."

The Jedi sees Grogu, and reaches into a compartment in the side of the ship, pulling out a small metal toy, shaped like a Wookie. "Thank you so much, Hera. I ask that you don't mention this to anyone, for his safety. If the Empire were to grab one of us, it could spell disaster. I'll be back soon."

"Okay, I understand, talk to you soon!" The comm beeps, and the conversation is ended.

The Jedi turns and faces the child, "Okay, to the Middle Rim we go." She sets the hyperspace coordinates and stands up. "It'll be a bit of time, we might as well get some rest," she informs the youngling, plucking him from the seat.

She walks to the back, where the floating pod is, as well as a cot for the Jedi, sits. Settling Grogu in his crib, she tucks a blanket around his shoulders, laying down herself.

*A few hours later*

Keen was back in the cockpit, the child at her side, and Jedha just below the ship. The Jedi lowers it carefully, racing to the ramp almost as soon as it lands. She sets the youngling in her bag, tucking the flap over his head. Leaning towards him, she whispers, "You need to stay hidden, that way you'll be safe." In response, he coos.

It's not difficult for Master Quinara to locate the Guardian, she drops herself into the Force, allowing it to guide her to a home. It's the place with the strongest Force presence. She opens her eyes, and slowly goes to approach the doors, when, out of thin air a tall man appears. The Jedi doesn't start, or jump. She looks at the man, and sees beyond his gruff exterior.

"Don't move!" he growls.

Keen lifts her hands, a movement of surrender. "Forgive me, I come in peace."

"Peace no longer exists in this Galaxy!"

Slowly, she moves her hand to her bag, reaching around the child, her hand rests on her lightsaber. She looks around, making sure that there are no eyes on her, and extracts the blades. When the man's eyes land on them, he hesitates, "Where did you get those?"

"I told you, Guardian of the Whills, I come in peace, as I am a peacekeeper," once again she glances around, "I'm a Jedi," she whispers.

"Prove it!" The Guardian growls.

"I can't, not here at least. But, I know you, I can sense that you are kind, and that is what I'm looking for, someone kind."

"How can I believe that you are a Jedi?"

As Keen goes to answer, another voice interjects, "Leave her be, Baze. Why would she lie?"

"Because she wants to kill us, Chirrut."

"Baze Malbus and Chirrut Îmwe, Guardians of the Whills, protectors of the Kyber Temple," she says, by this point the street is empty, "I am Jedi Master Ar'iabel Quinara, and I need your help."

It takes no time for the two to invite the Jedi into their shack. "How can we help you, Master Jedi?" Chirrut questions.

Keen pulls Grogu from her bag, setting him on the table in front of her. "This youngling was a Jedi trainee, saved from the Temple on Coruscant. He's a little under fifty years of age, and someone must look after him. I am tasking you two to guard Grogu. Do you accept?"

"Yes."

"No."

Both phrases are spoken at the same time, and then they turn and look at each other. It seems to the Jedi almost as if the two are communicating through their eyes. It's only moments later that Baze turns back, "Fine, yes."

"Thank you, both, I will leave his cot, and be off," Keen says, standing from her seat.

Chirrut speaks up, "We thank you for this honour, Master Jedi, and we won't let you down."

"Don't let him be harmed. If the Imperials' presence grows too strong, find a safe haven." The Master goes to leave, stopping last minute to turn, "May the Force be with you, both," and then exits through the door, not turning back.