Chapter Twenty-Three

The two Jedi turn back from the door, only to find the Twi'lek looking at them. "Vision?"

Keen collapses in the seat opposite her, "Ezra had his first Force vision."

"Oh."

"Yeah," Kanan says, sitting next to Hera, "His emotions may be clouding his judgement, and I don't want him getting hurt. I'm honestly not sure how to do this."

Hera smiles at him,"Well, it's lucky then that you have someone who's already trained a Padawan. Keen, what would your recommendation be?"

"Right, yes, visions. The council was always a big help, but, seeing as I'm the only council member. Um…hope for the best, prepare for the worst," Keen rambles, finishing with a double thumbs up and an awkward smile.

Kanan smiles, chuckling as he stands to leave the room, shaking his head all the time, "Y'know," he calls back, "Sometimes I wonder how you ended up on the Jedi Council."

"Yep, me too!"

***

A little while later the crew walk over to Ezra's parents house. Hera, Zeb, Kanan, and Sabine head down the ladder to where his parents used to transmit. Keen walks out onto the roof, leaning against a banister.

She states out over the landscape of the Outer Rim planet, the light wind blowing her hair slightly. She smiles, sensing a presence behind her. "Are you planning on leaving again?" Ezra asks from behind her.

Instead of answering the question, Keen states, "Something's bothering you, care to share?"

"The Empire knows that Trayvis is here, and they're planning an ambush," the Padawan quickly rushes out, all in one breath.

"Alright, well, I'm assuming you all have a plan?" She leans back against the banister, focusing her gaze on Kanan.

"Yeah, the Imperials may have numbers, but at least we have surprise."

The Jedi raises an eyebrow, "Right, so, your brilliant plan is to grab the Senator, and somehow get him off-world. Around the Imperials and civilians, who probably have droids and drones. We don't know the layout, or the Imps plans, or where they'll be located. We don't know how we will get past them the first time, or how we'll get out. All in all, the makings of a wonderful plan."

"He's being optimistic," Sabine says.

"Right."

***

The rebels are standing on top of a roof, all looking at the old Republic Senate Building. "There's a dignitary shuttle and two protocol droids on the platform. Trayvis must be inside. I'm not seeing any Imperial forces," Sabine says, lifting the visor from her helmet.

"Well, they gotta be around," Kanan says, putting some macrobinoculars to his eyes, "Yeah. I found them. Looks like they have the whole area locked down."

"We've gotta get Trayvis outta there before the Empire moves in."

"Wait, why haven't they moved in?"

"They want us, it's a trap," Keen says.

"So maybe we don't walk into it for once. We don't even know for sure your precious senator is in there," Zeb grumbles.

"Yes, we do," Ezra enthuses, "I saw it."

"If we can get up there without being seen maybe we fly him out on his own ship."

"I know a way in. No one will see us," Ezra states, jumping to his feet. Zeb and Sabine, all look at him doubtfully, "Hey, I survived alone against the Empire for eight years. Come on." Ezra takes off across the rooftop, signalling for the others to follow.

Kanan, Hera, and Keen look at each other momentarily. Ar'iabel is the first of the three to her feet, following closely behind Ezra. He leads them across rooftops, to an alley, where he climbs down the ladder, to the ground. The boy talks to Chopper quietly for a moment, the droid rolling away, grunting happily.

The astromechs chattering alerts the rebels that it's safe to move, and they round the corner to find Chopper shoving another droid down an open hatch. Kanan nervously looks at the droids, glancing at Keen out of the corner of his eye.

"Hey, at least now we know Chopper isn't afraid to follow through with his threats."

The Knight points a finger at her, "That is not comforting."

Zeb is the first to approach the open hatchway, and gives a hesitant sniff, "Ugh. That's a sewer pipe."

"Yes, it is," Ezra states, slapping the Lasat on the shoulder, "And I can pretty much guarantee we're not gonna run into any Stormtroopers down there." The boy starts his descent down the ladder. Hera follows right behind him, Keen jumping in after her. Keen hears Zeb sigh, as he starts down above her.

Moments later, they reach the floor of the pipe, and begin the trek to the Senate Building. "Y'know," Keen says, "this is actually one of the nicer sewer pipes that I've been in."

"Used to be too much water to walk down here but since the Empire started rationing, pretty dry."

"Well, it hasn't helped the smell," Zeb utters.

Keen looks around the pipe, before responding, "Eh, I've smelt worse. Then again, I've been in a Hutt's sewer pipe, so maybe I'm not the best person to speak up."

"Speaking of which, it does smell like you," Sabine responds.

The Jedi Master turns to the Mandalorian, an incredulous look on her face. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I was talking to Ezra."

"Wait. You know what I smell like?"

"Can we focus, please?"

Keen smiles, stopping to wait for Kanan to keep pace. She reaches into her satchel, pulling out her mask, pulling it on. "So, you ready for this?"

The Knight looks at her out of the corner of his eye, sighing, "As ready as I'll ever be."