Chapter Six

"Guys! This way!" The Mandalorian shouts.

"You figured out it was a trap?" Kanan shouts once they're all running as a group.

"Yeah. Luminara?"

"Long gone," Ar'iabel responds, "Our new exit?"

"Landing platform," Sabine nods toward it.

"Thought it was impossible to get out that way."

"Well, let's hope the Empire thinks so too."

The Inquisitor speaks over the bases intercom, telling them to go into lockdown.

"Well, that's not helpful," Ezra states, as the doors begin to close, even as they run through them.

The last blast door begins to close, and Zeb arrives at it first, holding it open as the rest of the crew leap through it, he grunts and urges them to hurry through. Ezra leaps through last, and Zeb let's the doors slam in the Inquisitor's face.

He smiles happily, until a red lightsaber blade sticks through the door, cutting a hole. There stands a greater obstacle in their path, the large blast doors that are locking them out. Sabine tried to unlock it, but the system locked her out, and when Ezra attempted to use his tool, he was electrocuted.

The Jedi Knight walks over and stands in front of the door, calling his Padawan over to himself, he stands in front of the doors, "Ezra. Together."

"Seriously?" the Padawan asks incredulously.

"Yes. Picture the locking mechanism in your mind."

Keen stands off to the side, smiling. He's accepted his position as his Master, and Kanan's not questioning himself, and thus succeeding.

"Excuse me," Zeb says, "but can we train Ezra later?" But steps away from the Knight and his Padawan as the doors open, showing at least twenty Stormtroopers guarding the platform. The Lasat lifts up his detonator. He tosses it out at the Troopers, taking out at least six.

Sabine whips her pistols out, activating her comm, "Spectre-5 to Phantom. We're on the landing deck, ready for pickup."

Over the comm, Hera responds, "On my way, Spectre-5. And I'm bringing the fleet."

The Jedi Master leaps forward, her sabers igniting. She slices her way through the Troopers. She flips off of TIE Fighter's, taking down the Imps left and right, her eyes squeezed tight, her preferred style of fighting, the other members of the crew fighting the Empire as well, although, Keen can't see them.

"We have a fleet?" Zeb questions.

The Phantom appears out of the sky, a large group of Tibidee surrounding her, "We do now."

The group race for the ship, leaping into the open ramp, the frynocks keeping the Stormtrooper's busy.

The Inquisitor, having gotten out the door himself, throws his saber at the Phantom. Master Quinara closes her eyes, sinking back into the Force. She focuses on the floating blade, and alters its course. Rather than landing in the outstretched hand of the Inquisitor, it instead slices through his neck. The ramp of the Phantom shuts before the head tumbles to ground, and she can sense four pairs of eyes on her neck, which she ignores.

***

Hera looks over at Kanan who sits in the copilot chair, "Master Luminara?" she asks.

"Gone. We'll have to find a way to spread the word," Kanan says, and Keen can feel his pain. He's devastated, hoping to have found another Jedi.

"How's Ezra taking it?"

"Not as bad as I am. I guess he's stuck with me. For now."

Ar'iabel glances over at the Padawan, his face looks so dejected, and, Keen sends happy thoughts in his way, pushing them through the Force.

He looks up at her, a small smile on his face.

***
The Ghost lands on Lothal, Keen feeling it from her cabin. She strolls over to the ramp where she finds Ezra and Kanan sitting. Ezra is looking at his Master, "I know you wanted to dump me on Luminara. Just 'cause she's gone doesn't mean you're stuck with me"

"I don't want to dump you," the Jedi Knight sighs, "Look, I just wanted you to have the best teacher."

"Yeah, well, I don't want the best teacher, I want you," he says, and then backtracks quickly, "Not that you're not the best. I–"

"Ezra. I'm not gonna try to teach you anymore," Kanan says, and Keen can sense the wave of sadness that the bolts from the boy, but, Kanan places a hand on his shoulder, "If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. So from now on, I will teach you. I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try. So from now on, I will teach you."

Ezra's head raises to meet Kanan's eyes, "I understand, Master," he smiles.

Kanan stands, having sensed her presence, he turns toward her. "Ezra, I'll be back, be ready to train." He then tilts his head in the direction of Lothal, "Walk with me?"

She nods, following him out of the ship, "I sense worry from you."

"I know I messed up, Master, and I owe you an apology. I was wrong, I acted rashly, and for that I am sorry."

They stop a ways away from the ship, standing in the tall grass, Keen's eyes follow a Loth Cat as it chases a small bug, the wind blowing her robes slightly in the breeze, "I understand why you did what you did, Kanan. You were thinking in Ezra's best interests, but you went about it the wrong way. You were scared, scared you'd fail him, and you lost your trust. I accept your apology, and know, if you ever need advice, I'm there for you." She sends him a smile, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, Keen," he says, eyes not leaving the horizon, "I sense something is troubling you."

"I have been given a mission, and I must respond to it. It troubles me, greatly. I must leave for a few days, and I must hear you promise that Ezra will remain alive."

"Is everything okay?" She nods in response to his question. "Then, yes, and I swear that Ezra won't die, I kept him alive before we met you."

A small smirk breaks out across the Jedi's face, "Yeah, barely. If you need to talk, my commlink is always open." She walks away from the Knight, pulling the hood of her dark grey cloak over her hair. As she leaves, she hears the sound of a lightsaber slashing rocks, and smiles slightly to herself.

(The end of The Rise of Old Masters)