Chapter 50

'Nelly', I whispered with my shaky voice.

Hot tears rolled down my face as I stared at her feeble form covered in cuts and bruises. I could see blisters in her feet and slight blood stains on her partly ripped cloth. She tried to come closer to touch me, but her hands and angles were chained so she couldn't reach. It felt hard for me to breathe as I was in the verse of a full-blown panic attack.

With pleading eyes, I looked over desperately at Drake for him to stop torturing my best friend. I ran over to him and started sobbing uncontrollably. Everything confused me and I was very overwhelmed. How did they find her? Did she come here to see me? Why was she hurt so badly? Were a few of the questions in my head.

'Drake, please let her out. She is my best friend' I beseeched. I could see him contemplating whether or not to listen to me. After a few seconds of thought which felt like an eternity to me, he said, 'Last time she was here, she tried to steal you from me'.

With a frustrated breath, I hugged him as I assured, 'I will never leave your side, my king. Please believe me.'

Drake was sceptical at first, but grudgingly agreed. The guards opened the large prison door and let my Nelly free from the restraints. She stood up with her frail legs and came running towards me. She tripped, but I held her before she could fall. I hugged her tightly, and we both started crying. I could feel her faint heartbeats and her quick breaths. It made me feel deeply worry about her health when I felt her body shaking vigorously.

After a few minutes, Drake asked, 'Love; do you want her to be moved to a room?' I wanted to shout at him for what he did to Nelly. But I knew the consequences would be dreadful. So, in between our cry of despair, I nodded my head.

Sighing, Drake walked to me and pulled me out of our embrace. 'You can talk with her all night after she gets cleaned up and fed my love. Come, let's go to our room. Don't worry, she will be safe and well treated.' Drake said in a soft reassuring voice.

I looked at her trembling form and squeezed her in one last tight hug. It was frightening. It felt like if I squeeze too tight, she could die. I gave her a kiss on her forehead and sadly smiled. Her brown dull eyes stared into mine and then I was once again pulled out by Drake. His hands held me tight on my waist and ushered me past the crowd of guards to our room. With occasional sobs escaping my quivering lips, I made it to the room.

Suddenly, I felt myself feel a little dizzy. Black dots started covering my vision as I felt my limbs go weak and numb. Before I could hit the ground, I felt a pair of powerful arms hold me up.

..............................................

'Love, wake up. Please god. Wake up,' I heard a worried voice.

I opened my eyes slowly to find myself on the bed. I looked at a distressed Drake clasping my hand. 'God, Emma, you passed out. Are you okay?' he asked with teary eyes.

'Yes, sorry. I feel very inundate at the moment' I sat upright and stared at him. He said nothing but just pulled me onto his lap. His hands traced circles up and down my body, which made me feel a little relaxed.

'Let's go have a bath beautiful', Drake insisted as he picked me up. He has been very sweet to me nowadays. I hope this lasts, I thought to myself.

He turned the warm water on and stripped me naked. He lifted me, kissed me, and put me down in the tub. After stripping himself, he too joined. He grabbed my waist from behind and pulled me back up against his chest. I laid my head on his bare chest and tried to relieve.

I let out a deep breath when I felt Drake massage me. After a good bath, he dressed me in a light grey dress. Inquisitively, I asked, 'How did you find Nelly?'

'I didn't, she came to the kingdom herself, which I'm assuming is to see you,' he replied in between brushing my hair. With tears spilling, I asked, 'Why didn't you keep her safe? You know she is important.'

He suddenly stopped the brush half way on my hair and walked away. I stood up too from the seat in front of the mirror. He turned away from me and sat on the bed. I followed his actions and sat next to him. 'I want to know Drake. I'm trying to understand you', I whispered.

'I was angry at her, Emma. She almost took you away from me', he said with a faint voice. Some part of me knew this was the reason, but I wasn't sure of it.

Since I know I will always be stuck with him, I promised him, 'I will never leave your side. I promise that as long as you keep my loved ones protected from danger.'

He stared into my eyes with tears. With a slight smile, he nodded his head. 'I'm sorry, my love'.

Even though deep inside I was furious at him, I didn't want to trigger him to throw a tantrum. One day, I will change him. To acknowledge him for realising his mistake, I gave him a good kiss. He looked at me and smiled widely.

Suddenly, the door busted open with Nelly sprinting towards me. She hustled Drake off me and hugged me tight. I glanced towards Drake to make sure he hasn't lost it yet. He looked a little annoyed but seems to shake it off.

'Emma... I missed you', she cried as she squeezed me. I pulled away and smiled at her. 'Me too, Nelly. I missed you too'.

She glared at Drake while she pulled me away from him and the guards. I looked over them to find Drake signalling the soldiers to leave. They bowed and closed the door.

'We have to get out of here,' Nelly whispered secretly. 'No, it's impossible. I tried to escape after you left, but it ended up with Drake killing the girl who helped me and holding my family as bait. If I try to leave, he will murder my parents and my little brother. God, Thomas is no older than thirteen. I can't let that happen. However, after we spend a few days together here, I will request Drake to let you go,' I said sadly.

Nelly could only gaze at me in astonishment. She looked like she was holding something behind, but she kept quiet. She started fidgeting with her fingers. 'What is it, Nelly?' I asked searchingly.

She glanced around the room and pulled me towards the balcony. 'Nelly, you are acting strange'

'Shh... I have a plan to save us. You have to trust me however', I raised my eyebrows at her in a silly way. What is she up to?

'So, I was initially trying to visit you, but guards of another kingdom caught me and they took me to their king. When I told him why I was crossing his boarders, he insisted to help me. Apparently, he holds a feud against Dark lord, hence wants to hurt him. He thinks the best way to take Drake over is by keeping you away from him.' Oh no. Why do I feel like this is Henry's plan? I know enough of him; he is just as cruel as Drake, or even more sinister.

'What's the king's name?' I asked, already knowing the answer.

'Henry, I think', she said. I knew it. Before I could explain anything, Drake yanked me away from her. 'I knew she would try to take you', he roared.

'GUARDS, TAKE HER BACK TO THE PRISON', he shouted. 'NOOO', I screamed in protest. 'She doesn't know that Drake, please', I immediately fell on his feet and I pathetically started begging.

'YOU LIED TO ME YOU BITCH', he screamed at my face and slapped me hard. I flew across the floor in his force. 'NOOOO', I screamed again when I saw Nelly getting beaten by the soldiers.

With a hard kick against my stomach from Drake, I started coughing out blood. He immediately leaned down and pulled me close. 'Ugh, I'm so angry but I don't want to hurt you', he screamed and slapped me again. This time, however, the magic worked. I felt myself getting lightheaded as I submitted to the darkness...