1.

When I first started dancing at age six, I never would have thought that I would make a career out of it.

Okay, well, maybe I did. At age six, everyone has big dreams. I wanted to be in The Nutcracker. I wanted to be a princess. Maybe a veterinarian. I don't really remember my career goals back then, all I was ever truly focused on was my want to become a ballerina...and some dreams are maybe meant to fail.

When I tell you I never thought that my dancing would take me past high school, I mean it. And when I tell you that never in my wildest dreams did I think that my dancing would land me a role in an up and coming Netflix original series, I mean it.

•••

"Are you sure you'll be okay getting to Vancouver? If you push your flight back, I'd be happy to come with you," my mom tells me, smoothing down my hair. I fight the urge to groan, knowing that she just wants the best for me. 

"I'll be perfectly fine, mom. I've flown alone plenty of times," I respond, stepping back slightly so I can get closer to the airport doors. "I'm a big girl. I promise."

"I know you are. I just worry about you, this is different! You're moving to another country!" my mom pouts her lips, twisting her hands together nervously before she lets out a sigh. "I'm so proud of you, sweetheart."

It's my turn to pout when I watch her eyes fill with tears. I fight back the waterworks of my own, pulling my mom in for one last hug. We've been outside of the airport for ten minutes now while she tries to say goodbye to me. I'm only going to be gone for a few months, she's acting like I'm moving away from California forever. 

"Thank you," I mumble, pulling away. "I've really gotta go, mom. I'm gonna miss my flight. I'll text you and dad when I land!"

"Okay," my mom sniffles with laugh, no doubt chuckling at herself for crying. "I'm sorry dad has to be at work. We love you so much."

"I know," I smile at the emotional woman. "I love you guys too."

I grab my two suitcases and start wheeling them away. As I begin to walk through the sliding doors, I turn to face my mother one last time, a big smile on my face to assure her that I'll be just fine.

"Have a safe flight!" She calls after me, holding a hand over her heart. I grin back at her, resisting every urge in my body to start crying. I am almost twenty years old, there is no need for me to cry about leaving my parents for a few months.

Sucking in a shaky breath, I silently tell myself that I'm perfectly okay. This is an amazing opportunity, and everything is going to go very smoothly for me once I cross the border.

Just one three hour flight and I'll be beginning what I hope to be one of the greatest journeys of my life.

•••

The second my feet hit the pavement in Vancouver, I feel free. Planes aren't really my thing, so, naturally, I feel fantastic after safely escaping from one. Letting my suitcases sit on the ground, as close to me as I can, I pull my phone out of my pocket, and open up the Uber app. 

It takes a few extra minutes, but eventually I make it into a car and I'm on my way to my new shared apartment for the next few months. I was lucky enough to hit it off with one of the other dancers on the show via Instagram and we agreed to be roommates for the duration of filming. Considering we've got similar roles, give or take some lines, it makes the job easier. I decide to text my roommate, letting her know that I'm close.

Joey: Hey! I'm just a few minutes away, thought I'd let you know :)

Savannah: Okay! Can't wait to officially meet u!!
Savannah: I also have your key so u can just come on up when u get here! Appt 2229