19.

hi sunshines!!!
i'm babysitting my not sober friends right now so here's an update at midnight my time lol
we have a little POV change in this chapter....kinda fun....
we finally get a little peek into what's going on in owen's head!
enjoy loves, thank you for the continued support!! i truly adore you all<3

Owen Joyner

"Dude, I don't know where you are. You need to come outside," I tell my former roommate, talking to him on the phone. I've been looping around the airport pickup area for a half hour now in search of the Canadian man, but he's been waiting inside the entire time claiming that it's too cold to wait outside. As if he didn't just get on a plane from Canada.

"Wait!" He yells and I nearly slam on the brakes of my car. "I see you. Pull over!"

I shake my head, doing as I'm told and pulling off to the side in the first spot I see. It's New Year's Eve and LAX is packed with people and cars. I hate it here, and it doesn't help that it's six-thirty in the morning and I didn't get much sleep.

The phone call ends and I toss my phone in the cupholder, feeling calmer now that he knows where I am. Or, at least, I hope he does. Knowing Charlie, it's very possible that he just saw a blonde guy in a silver car and assumed it was me. I peer out of the windshield, looking to the left and right for any sign of him. The passenger door of my car opens and I jump, relaxing when I see my best friend leaning into the car with a huge grin on his face.

"Owen!" He yells, the smile not leaving his face. I grin right back, jumping out of the car so I can help him with his luggage. He pulls me into a tight hug when I reach him. I missed Charlie a lot. His chaotic energy and fun presence has been lacking in my life. "How are ya, buddy? I missed you!"

"I'm great, bud! Missed you too," I tell him, pulling away. I grab his suitcase and throw it into the trunk of my waiting car. "How was the trip?"

"Long, but worth it. Feels good to be back, huh?"

"Absolutely," I nod as we both get into my car.

"How's Jo? You see her yet?" He asks me, grabbing his seatbelt.

"Yeah," I answer, my cheeks heating up. "I came back a couple days ago, saw her for her birthday."

I never told Charlie that I was coming home two days early, or why. All he knew was that I came home and was able to pick him up from the airport.

I start driving away from the airport, but I can feel Charlie staring at the side of my face. I turn to look at him, seeing him with a stupid grin on his face.

"What?" I ask, coming off more defensively than anticipated.

"So that's why you came back early," he smirks, leaning closer to me. I did miss him, but I didn't miss his inquisitive personality, especially when it involves me and Joey. "Had you surprise your girl for her birthday, huh? Why didn't you tell me?"

"She is not my girl, and this is why I didn't tell you. You're annoying," I raise my eyebrows at the boy in my front seat. He's only two years older than me, but I've never met someone more immature than him.

"I'm just stating the obvious!" He defends himself with a laugh. "You're in loooove, Owen."

"I will kick you out of this car right now and you will have nowhere to stay. Shut up," I half joke.

"Oh, but I could go stay with our little Joey," he bats his eyelashes as he leans over the center console. I laugh at the dumb boy, shoving him away from me. "I'm just kidding. How is she though?"