Chapter 39

Rita's pov

Playing the victim was never difficult. Because I was the victim — I was always the one who was sacrificed.

Now, I was in the police station, sitting in front of a police officer who looked at me with compassion.

"Are you ready to talk, Mrs. Volkov?" the officer asked me, making me cringe. Getting called 'Mrs. Volkov' made me quite uncomfortable. But I was a Volkov. I still had my dead husband's last name.

"Yes, I'm am, officer," I said nervously, biting my lip. "You still look shaken, you want a bottle of water," he suggested before getting up, walking to the mini fridge behind him, taking out a bottle of water and handing it to me.

"Thanks." I took the bottle with my trembling hands. "You are welcome," he said with a smile as I opened the bottle and drank a little.

The cold water running down my throat helped me calm down a bit. "I'm ready, you can ask your questions, officer," I muttered, and he nodded his head.

"How about we leave the questions out and you just tell me what happened, from the start to the end?" he asked me and I sighed with a nod.

"It all happened on my wedding night. Nicolai and I said goodbye to the guests before entering our room. I loved my husband ... " I said before looking him in the eyes, "I still love him. He was and still is the love of my life. I thought I'd live my happy ever after with my Nicolai, but I couldn't, because Antonio Alessi killed him. It all happened so suddenly, one moment I kissed my husband and the next moment he was torn away from me, and killed. They didn't kill me. They said they would use me against my father. They took me, brought me to Chicago and locked me in this apartment for a month before I managed to escape and call nine-one-one"

I twisted the story to my advantage. I knew as soon as I told him I had to marry Nicolai for my father's business, my marriage would be invalid by law and I would not get my husband's shares. However, I needed them to save us all.

"And who do you mean by them, Mrs. Volkov?" the officer asked me. "Antonio Alessi's men," I accused the man who wanted me dead from the start, and I'd continue accusing him every opportunity I got.

"You are one hundred percent sure that it was him who plotted against your husband and kidnapped you?" he asked me and I nodded my head sadly.

I knew I had to be careful with my words. After all, I was in Chicago. He must have people from the law and justice system working for him here.

The one sitting before me might worked for him. I had to believe my own lie before feeding them to others — making my story more believable.

"Yes, sometimes I heard Roman and Valerio talk about what Antonio Alessi was up to do with me," I blamed him again. "And what was he going to do with you, Mrs. Volkov?" he asked me.

"He wanted to hide me for a few months to make my father suffer for meddling in and ruining his business deals in Mexico. Then, he wanted to blackmail my father with me and force him to hand over some of his casino chains to help expand his business in Mexico." That was a lie — I couldn't tell him that Antonio Alessi was mad at my father for betraying him by marrying me to another drug lord — Alessi's enemy — to grow his drug business, and that my marriage influenced the drug business of Alessi.

"I see, and were you sexually abused while being in their captivity?" he asked me, making me look at him numbly. Sighing, I shook my head. "No, I wasn't," I muttered.

"Okay, and how did you manage to escape Mrs. Volkov?" he asked me.

"I don't know why, but they started fighting, forgetting about my presence. And I used their nasty confrontation to my advantage and made it out without getting caught before calling nine-one-one," I told him.