Chapter 40

Rita's pov

I slowly stirred from my sleep, feeling a little cold and nauseous. For a second I forgot where I was before remembering I was on a jet, flying back to Mexico, leaving the place — the city and him — that felt like home for once in my life.

"Slept well?" my father asked. Rubbing my eyes, I looked at him to see him doing something on his notebook, his features were relaxed.

"I can never sleep well again after everything that happened to me," I muttered, leaning my head against the small window.

He looked up from his notebook before saying, "Don't worry, you will surely get better soon. We can also find a psychologist if you need one."

I didn't need a psychologist, I needed control over this quandary — in other words — I needed power to be in charge of the others. That shouldn't be that difficult.

Now I was back in the picture, I would get the power I inherited from my late husband. The difficult part would be to retain what belonged to me, not let others — my father — take it away from me.

"Thank you for your concern, father, but you don't have to worry about me, I will be all right, I will get well again," I told him, I knew I had to be strong if I wanted to save him and our baby.

"I am glad to hear that," he hummed, typing something on his notebook, not sparing me a glance. But I was used to his dismissive attitude. I was never worth his attention unless I was of use.

"And thank you for coming and picking me up. Thank you for taking me home," I told him with a smile on my face.

"Of course I would pick my daughter up. We may not have the best relationship as a father and daughter, but you are still my blood, Rita. I would not leave you behind," he claimed before putting the notebook aside and looking at me curiously. "How did you manage to escape them?"

"They started to dispute in Italian," I halfway lied as I didn't want him to pressure me about what the fight was about. "Then, their dispute turned into a nasty fight. They were so involved in the fight that they have completely forgotten about me. So, I took the keys and one of their phones without getting caught before running away and calling the police."

I didn't feel guilt while telling him made-up stories.
Because my lies were nothing compared to his wrongdoings to my mother and me.

"Rita? Are you sure that Antonio Alessi was the one who kidnapped you?" he asked me with a frown on his face.

"Yes, father, I heard his men discuss his plans for me while being in their captivity. They said they would use me against you after killing Nicolai. Alessi's plan was to blackmail you with me and force you to hand over some of your casino chains to him, so he could grow his business in Mexico. But before they could call you, I managed to escape and called the police. I'm sorry if I did wrong by calling the police, I was just scared ..." I told him the same lies I told the police, but I knew I had to be careful with my lies.

That man before me wasn't just my father, he was the Mexican mafia. And if he found out I was lying right in his face, he wouldn't hesitate mute me forever.

"You did the right thing, darling, I'm proud of you," he claimed and I smiled at him, wondering if he would be nice to me if I didn't inherit my dead husband's shares, which he obviously desired.

"Thank you and thank you again, dad, for being there for me, for protecting me," I told him.

"Of course I will protect you under all circumstances, you're my child, Rita," he said calmly. I bit my lip and nodded my head. Of course he'd protect me until I gave him my shares I'd get from Nicolai by law.