Chapter 6

Rita's pov

I looked at him, his eyes met mine as he walked into dad's office. I felt like paralyzed as a dark grin appeared on his face, making me feel goosebumps down my spine.

Then, he closed the door and walked towards us. This was the first time I saw him for the very first time in every aspect. He looked handsome, and to be fair, he was handsome, very handsome.

But his appearance didn't make me drool all over him like any woman would do after seeing a handsome man like him. Because I knew his story, his past.

I knew that he took over his brother's crime organization at a very young age, eighteen, after his brother got killed by a rival, the Alessi family.

Most of his dead brother's allies did not take him seriously because he was barely an adult and not ready to lead.

However, I also heard that he proved to them all how wrong they were. He showed them that he was capable to run the Mafia.

Even if his business shook drastically at first, he managed to keep up with the others, as he noticed how the underworld worked. By being savage, he could maintain his position.

Are you wondering how I knew his story? I overheard dad talking to Jorge, his most trusted man, about him, as they discussed who I should marry.

I usually didn't eavesdrop because I was scared of the consequences after getting caught. He just called me to his office and the door was ajar.

The moment I was about to knock on his door, their conversation caught my attention and I had to listen to it because it was about my life and the man who I should get married off.

Knowing my dad, being aware that he would only tell me the bare minimum, I decided to listen to their conversation about my life.

After listening to who I should get married off, finding out what kind of a monster Nicolai was, I got scared.

Now, the monster was right in front of me. "Father-in-law," he said, before looking at me, "future wife." A smirk appeared on his face when our eyes met, seeing the fear inside of mine.

"You're late," father remarked, as Nicolai sat down in his chair, looking at him, expecting an apology for being late.

"Well, sorry for being late, I had a late meeting and it took a little longer than I expected," he excused himself, a smile on his face, but the smile didn't reach his eyes, it was just a facade to hide his true colors.

"Then, next time keep an eye on the time," he sighed, nodding hid head.

"I will." He nodded his head, his eyes studying me without shame. "After all, it's a shame to keep a beautiful woman waiting."

His words didn't affect me at all. Honestly, what did he expect from me? To smile and blush over a compliment and accept him?

If that was the case he was so damn wrong, I wasn't easy to impress, compliments or materialistic things didn't impress me at all.

I wanted to be respected and listened, not getting ignored if I wasn't useful. I wished that my opinion mattered. Those were the simple things you could impress me, things I wanted in life.

But, obviously, the man before thought he could get every woman by giving compliments and using his status, making me internally role my eyes.

"Thank you," I mumbled, with my head down, as I didn't want to appear rude and get beaten up by father again when he left. I tensed as he got up from the chair and walked towards me.

"Why are you looking down? I've come a long way to see you," he muttered, before I felt a hand under my chin and my face was lifted. My hazel eyes met cold blue eyes, and his features hardened.