Chapter 21

Rita's pov

I woke up as someone snatched the remote out of my hands. Blinking few times, I rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

As I was fully awake and looking up, I saw Roman looking at me with downcast eyes.

"Morning, ragazza," he said, turning the television off. "You were gone the entire night," I muttered quietly. "Where were you so long?"

"Why are you asking? Did you miss me in bed? I have to say I didn't miss your biting ass at all," he claimed, looking at me scornfully.

"Don't complain about sleeping next to me, if you're the one making me sleep right next to you!" I snapped, standing on the couch to be at the same level as him.

His height was intimidating when he towered over me, but when I stood on the couch we were the same height and he looked less frightening. At least for me.

"I sleep next to you because I don't trust your sneaky ass," he replied, crossing his arms. "Then, lock the door!" I huffed.

"I did." He nodded his head.

"I didn't mean now! Lock the door and let me sleep on the couch next time if you are that scared I'll run away or try to escape!"

"I won't," he declined, shaking his head. "Why?" I asked irritated, a frown on my face.

"People don't say for no reason," he said calmly, "to keep your friends close and your enemies closer!" I laughed frustrated, wanting to pull my hair out.

"It's ridiculous how you and your boss fear me! Do I scare your boss that much that he wants me dead? Do I scare you that much that you tie me up to bed or lock me in your bedroom for hours?"

"What do you expect from me? Shall I treat you like my guest while you're my enemy? Shall I let you roam my home for hours while being away?" he gritted out, clearly getting irritated by my behavior.

"No, you don't have to treat me like your guest, it's enough if you not treat me like a wild animal by tying me around, but like human! I was locked up for hours, Roman! All alone! And hungry!"

"And why should I care?" he asked me, crossing his arms. I chuckled frustrated, almost having a mental breakdown.

"Right! Why am I telling a murderer to show me humanity? Stupid me!" Agitated, I nearly lost my balance and fell if he didn't grab my waist and hold me.

I looked up in his embrace, not realizing that he was so close that our lips were touching. "You're my enemy Rita, don't expect from me hospitality," he claimed against my lips as I looked at him, blinking twice.

"How am I your enemy? I never meant any harm to you or your boss! You can't punish me for my father's sins! That's not fair," I told against his lips, hating the fact that he and his boss saw me as a threat.

"Life isn't fair!" he hissed at me.

Gulping, I looked at him silently as I couldn't deny the truth. He was right. Life wasn't fair.

There was a deep silence between us, his arms still around my waist and our faces only inches away.

We stayed in this position, looking at each others eyes, until we were interrupted by a gasp, making our heads turn toward the door.

I saw a beautiful woman standing with her arms crossed near the doorframe, looking at me as if I was a ghost.

"Are you kidding me? You didn't tell me that the woman you have at home and I am supposed to babysit is a woman who should be actually dead! Her face was all over the news!" she remarked surprised.