Chapter 43

Rita's pov

Running businesses wasn't as easy as I thought.

I had to read a lot of documents before I could signing them. I wasn't foolish enough to sign anything before reading until the fine print.

I was stuck in my father's office for hours now. Correction — my office. My mom and I inherited everything he had after I got rid of him and his ridiculous will.

Two weeks have passed since I killed him, and a lot happened after his death. A week after his funeral, I had to appear in court to prove that I killed him while defending myself.

It wasn't difficult to prove my innocence as his office had a camera and I gave the footage to the judge.

Some parts — where I got him angry so that he strangled me and my words were a mere choke — had almost no tune from my side, making the whole thing better for me.

After the judge watched the footage of my father getting angry — beating and strangling me — for not signing the contract, I was charged free.

Then, my father's inheritance was split between my mother and me because there was no will. She got a third and I got two thirds.

I was probably one of the richest and most powerful women in the world now. I owned many casinos, bars and hotel chains in Russia and Mexico, but I was not happy. Money didn't make me happy, it never did.

I didn't need money or power in life to be happy, I needed him. But I doubted he would want anything to do with me after I put him in jail. He probably hated my guts and regretted saving me that night.

Though, I was fine with him hating me as long as he was safe. And he was safe in police custody. If I didn't report him, he would be free. But he couldn't be free now, otherwise Antonio would kill him.

However, I knew Alessi would not kill Roman while he was in police custody after I claimed that Roman and his brother kidnapped me for him. He would be the prime suspect if the two of them were killed after I reported that they both worked for him.

Anyway, Roman'd be free and powerful soon. I will make him powerful. I will make him a strong, wealthy, and invincible. I will make sure no one can harm us.

First, I had to convince the judge to discharge him by our first trial in the court, and I'd do everything in my power to set him free — even if I appeared as a fool in the end.

After I killed my father and had to appear in court this week, his case was postponed until next week.

"Come on in," I said, as someone knocked on the door, bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Hello, Rita. Hope you are fine?" my uncle came in. I smiled — it was a hostile one, like him — as I put the contracts aside that I was reading. He flew from Washington to Mexico after my father died.

I wasn't dumb — neither naïve. I knew he wasn't here to mourn for my father's death with me, or to take care of me, he was here to get power.

He wanted the power I owned. He wanted the seat I was sitting. He wanted everything I had now.

He wanted to be me — ready to dethrone me at all costs. I wouldn't let that happen. I wasn't the obedient little girl who they could damage — not anymore.

My uncle and old late father — may his soul burn to ashes in Hell for the Hell he gave me in life — were saints compared to Roman.

Roman was my eye-opener. He played around too much in the beginning — having a sly nature, he loved to tease and embarrass me for his own entertainment.