Chapter-36

The tension in the room was inexplicable. Everyone's stare on me and Athena, the crown's weight increasing as each second passed, me not daring to look at any one.

At last, Athena spoke, "This is dinner, people." Everyone resumed eating. After mumbling a thank you, I started to serve myself. Tan quickly came towards me and served whatever I asked for, even though it wasn't much.

After finishing the dinner, Athena started talking. "As the travel might have made you tired and the skies have darkened outside, I think you all should take rest." It was more of an order than a thought, that was clear.

She looked to her side and a few maids made their way towards the family and friends, pulling their chair out and taking them to their respected rooms. Tan was behind me before half of the room started to clear up and gave me a questioning look. Athena, as if answering for me, nodded at her and she pulled my chair out.

I walked down to my room, Tan tailing behind me. After assuring her I needed no help to strip down my clothes or to wash myself before bed, I did all those deeply thinking about earlier that day. I was interrupted by a knock on my bathroom door, when I dismissed it by asking Tan to leave.

"This is Aria." The voice spoke from outside when I drowned myself in the water. Excusing myself for few minutes and dressing up in the satin night gown as fast as possible, without tearing it, I exited the bathroom to see Aria in a loose shirt and trousers.

I tilted my head wondering why hasn't she received the night gown as mine when she spoke, "I didn't liked the night gown, uncomfortable it is." She continued, "but you look pretty in it." I swear I saw a tinge of blush on her cheeks while I felt myself growing red.

Shaking my head, wishing the redness will go away with that, I asked, "are you alright?" I have noticed her for the past days of staying in the palace and she has not been fully comfortable. She shrugged.

"Actually, no." Admitting it, she walked towards the bed and sat down. I sat beside her truly concerned about my friend's well being. "When I say this you may think I am jealous or something but I swear up on every being believed to exist that I am anything but that."

I held her hand and smiled, "I believe you." My tone was softer than usual as I gave a squeeze reassuring her. She smiled back, exhaling.

"I... I just don't trust her. The girl who says she is your sister." She looked scared, worried. I moved closer as I stayed silent, urging her to go on. "I have taken special notice in everything going on here and the thing that troubles me the most is the disappearance of our supernatural friends. I tried asking some maids about them but they say they haven't seen them. So I tracked down one of the soldier that was there to hurt us, kill us I don't know, and he doesn't even seem to remember that."

"So what's your plan?" She looked at me, corners of her lips twisting slightly. "I informed the maid that I will be visiting you after the bath through some casual talk. I will shortly join back but not before I return to the room assigned to me." "And why would you do that?" I inquired. "Because we have got some information on something happening to me."

"We as in you, Ruby, Akshay and Mathew?" I asked, me suddenly being annoyed. She giggled. "Sorry we didn't informed you earlier about our suspicions, but we needed to make sure we have a solid proof before informing you." "So what is the proof?" I asked raising one of my eyebrows. "We don't have one right now. But something is going to happen and I wanted to see you before that."

"Is whatever's gonna happen that dangerous?" I asked, concerned about her safety, and, as selfish as it sounds, mine. "I don't know," she shrugged, "and I know this is going to be a lot to ask for," she continued, now looking at me her eyes holding emotions, too many of them, "but can you promise me you won't forget me no matter what happens to me before midnight?"

It didn't mattered how confused I was at that moment, because truth be told I was hella, all that mattered was the promise to be made. So I did.

"I promise, to not forget you no matter what happens to you before midnight."

~~~~~

I hope y'all are doing well. And I will try my best not leave y'all hanging on that ending for so long.

Do not forget to vote and comment.

Keep reading. Keep living. Keep loving.