Chapter-1

I am going to be 6 years old tonight and I am really excited for it. My best friend, Rubedium Celsia, has already got the word. She's got successful and I just knew she will as seeing how much of a hard worker she is, even though she is just a 6 year old. I am so desperate for tonight that it feels as if the time has forgotten to run. I waited and waited and waited for hours until there was just a minute left for it to become midnight. My mother brought the box that will be given to us when we are born and will disappear when we die, at least that's what dad has told me. I waited for the time to be exactly 12 as I have tried it open before but it just won't.

I opened it when the clock ticks 12 with a large grin on my face but it suddenly fades when I saw the six letter word in the box. TRAGIC. That's what was written. I got scared because I knew it wasn't a good word but I didn't know the exact meaning of it. I looked at my mother who had some kind of expression in face which told that this wasn't a really good one. My dad hold me close and gave a squeeze on my shoulder. My brother, who was just 1 year old at the time, was looking so bubbly and smiling as he doesn't understand the seriousness of the situation. Can't blame him, can I? He is just a baby who entered his life a year ago.

I was woken from the flashback just when I heard the door opening. I stood up when I see another doctor rushing to the other side. No, they are still doing whatever they are up to. I sat back where I was sitting resting my face on my palms. I could feel my parents gaze on me. They would blame me if he dies. Anyone who knows what my word will blame me. I would never want my baby brother to die. I would sacrifice myself for him.

The word he got when he turned 6 last year was positive. He has always smiled. No matter what, he will find something good in everything. Even after he knew about the word I got was Tragic he was like "Oh sissy, it would be because of how antisocial you are" and laugh it off. How many times I have tried to point off all the things that has happened from that day he will tell me that it is all due to what I think. I smiled to myself as I thought about him. Jayson Luv, one of the brightest and most positive student from school. No, from the whole town. His dashing smile, making every girls fall in love and even boys. His polite behavior making every adults in the place awe. And his kind talk making every kids seeing him as a big brother. Everything, but he is just 7. Maybe he won't live for long that is the reason he is like this. A voice said in my mind. I know that the voice has a point but I ignored it.

The doctor who walked out few minutes ago came back with 2 nurses following him. I looked at them but they ignored our existence. I tried to steal a glance inside the room when they entered but as I knew before they were covered with curtain. I went back to the way I was sitting when I heard someone nearing to us. It was no one from the hospital, I know it by the way the shoes were clicking. I was too familiar with the atmosphere there that I could tell most of the staffs there just by hearing their breathing. But today there were more doctors, nurses and other people which made me scared. There were people I haven't even seen before.

I took my face from my palm when the clicking of shoes comes to an end near to me. "Ruby" I said out loud enough for her to hear. I looked up to her and quickly studies her. Her red curls in a pony tail, little to no amount of make up, black tank top, black denim jacket and jeans with black vans, and an apologetic look on her face. I looked at the watch I am wearing, it was 4 in the evening. She showed up 1 hour after school ends. "I am sorry Jan, I was held up by Mr. Robins to ask me complete that novel I am working on and Mrs. Jewel asking me to tutor that new Indian kid because he is failing behind. Gosh! It is like my problem that he is failing." she completed trying to hide her face as she sits beside me. I know her too well. This girl likes that boy and she doesn't want to admit it as her best friend's brother is fighting for his life. I stared at her, relieved that she is fine. It is going to be big damage for whoever giving this words if they try to hurt her just because I should be miserable and my life should be tragic.

"What?" Ruby asked snapping me out of my thought. "You can admit it and don't be sorry. I am glad that you are my best friend after all this mentals happening in my life just because of the stupid word I got." She blushed and quickly hide with a huge smile and hugged me. She pulled back after a good minute and sat facing towards my parents. She waved at them and they returned a smile. A sad smile more like. Maybe they feel pity for her, pity because she is my best friend. "Correction, sister" Ruby whispered and for a second I panicked thinking can she read minds. Oh maybe she has said for the sentence I told before. Yeah, maybe.

Suddenly I felt the temperature dropping. It was unbelievably cold. Spine chilling cold. It was like death himself is here. I looked up scanning the place if any of the lights were off or flickering or if any person was wearing oddly all black and covering their face. Ruby nudges me and when I look at her I knew the reason. Dr. Mars has came out of the Operation Theater and I got up as soon as I saw the balding man in his late 50s. "He is okay." The man told without much drama. Thank Lord! I let out the breath that I didn't knew I was holding. "But" The man spoke once again after looking at me. "He is not so healthy and he needs to take rest. After 3 days we need to take a test to make sure he is healthy enough to get back to home. If he is, I would prefer him to stay home for minimum a week and then let him go to school afterwards. But if he isn't... Let us think about that later" Ruby and I intertwined our hands and I gave a squeeze which she returned back. "Can we see him now?" I asked him hoping a yes but unfortunately he said "No my dear, but you can see him afterwards okay?" He asked but I understood it was more of a statement and I nod. 

He excused himself and went. I looked towards my parents but they didn't looked so good still. Maybe they don't think he will come back to home. Ugh! I shouldn't even have born. My brother could be happy living at home. But I was distracted from my thoughts when some one hugged me. It was my mother. I was stuck for a second but when Ruby left my hand I knew she was silently instructing me to hug her back. I did. And I felt that she smiled. I saw my father looking at me. In a good manner. I liked it but I was scared to be happy. I was scared that worse things will happen. But I should believe in my self. I told myself.