Chapter-21

The disappearance of the box was clear. The government took away the box. So the word is by the government and they might be doing things to make people believe the word is their true identity.

I was walking alone on the streets for fresh air when I heard the voice of an old woman, "you are right my child." I quickly looked up. There was no person in an audible distance. I looked to my side. A dark alley. Very dark that I don't know if there is someone in the darkness. I moved a bit closer when a figure moved towards me from darkness. I quickly stepped back and saw the figure wearing a grey cloak which was overly sized for the person. I stood there, not knowing what to do when the old woman's voice again spoke. "Don't be worried my child, I mean no harm. At least not as much as they do." I understood the voice was coming from the person under the cloak. "Please bring your friends today midnight and I will explain to you everything." My mind clouded with thoughts. What if she is one of them? What if I was telling all these aloud? I mean what is the other explanation? That she can read minds? "Yes my child I can. And I understand you have trust issues. But please come tonight, I will be waiting for you." The figure disappeared back into the darkness.

I stared at the dark alley trying to figure any kind of movements. I was soon out of the gazing when I heard somebody calling out. "Hey?" I quickly turned back to see a police car. "What are you doing here?" He asked. "Nothing" I said and walked to the home I am expected to return to.

When I returned, I saw Ruby putting on her sneakers. "Where are you going?" I asked her as I walked towards her. "I was coming to search for you. I thought you might have did something stupid." She hugged and I hugged her back.

We both went back to the room we were living and sat down. I quickly narrated what I experienced as Ruby gave the right body movements at the correct times. When I finished she spoke, "well that is interesting. Mom has told me there is no one who lives in the Dark alley. And clearly I haven't seen a single soul near to that place unless and until they are in groups. That makes me wonder, why did you went there?" She completed herself with a question.

"Well I walked and ended up there. I don't know why I chose that path but seems like that was the reason. The old lady." I ended clearly putting both of our minds in chaos. We contacted Aria and Akshay asking to immediately meet us in the cafe.

Ruby and I made our way towards the cafe to see Akshay and just after greeting him Aria joined us too. We settled in our usual booth and ordered 2 mango juices, a grape juice and an apple juice. I narrated to them whatever I said to Ruby which are obviously the things happened in there. Akshay was clearly confused cause he kept asking some stupid questions. "Why is it called the Dark Alley?" "Because it is dark, obviously." Ruby replied but it was clear from her voice and facial expressions she is fed up with him. "But there aren't anyone living there" Aria looked distressed while she said that. "That's what I told, but we should go there tonight. That's the only way to know what's the matter." Ruby said and we all agreed.

We were all ready by 11 in the night. Our parents were extra protective of us due to what happened with Mathew which means that we should also be extra careful in this sneak out or else we would never be allowed to even meet with each other.

I was ready at home along with Ruby when somebody knocked on the door. We both quickly removed the hoodie we were wearing above a tank top and wore pajama pants over the white trousers we were wearing. Ruby opened the door while I settled myself on the bed. "Figured you both aren't slept yet from the lights. Light off and sleep quick. And here is the hot water. Good night beautiful young ladies." It was Ruby's mother and we said we were going to sleep and closed the door after greeting back to her. We quickly switched off the lights and took off the pajama pants. Quickly I got a glance of a bright thing on the mirror. I again looked once again and realized those were our trousers. "How foolish are we!" I exclaimed in a low voice audible enough for Ruby. "What's the... Oh!" She understood once she looked in the mirror. "Wait a minute, I know what to wear." She said and quickly got into the closet. She was searching something so concentrated that she just puts out the thing she was searching for. I scoffed. "We got it." I said after taking the black jeans and trousers that was now out of the closet. She just shook her head and continue searching.

I watched her curiously and soon after she found what she was looking for. Camo pants. "Bloody hell Rubedium" I said smiling. We both wore the camo pants after taking off the shorts we were wearing. We opened the door to the balcony and slowly closed it behind. I slowly made my way to the roof with Ruby behind me. We slowly moved alongside of the wall until we reached the other end. The task was specifically difficult as no noise should be made. We made our way onto the wall that showed the boundary of the house and walked over it like a cat until we reached a place with no bushes or thorny plants. Slowly we got off and got ourselves out of the door.

We let out a small breath showing our relaxation and walked to the corner before the Dark Alley, where we promised to meet. By the time we reached there Aria was already there and Akshay just got there after our arrival. We walked in a group and went to the Dark Alley. It was about to be 12 in 5 minutes time. We walked o there, our hearts beating and maybe even regretting showing up. If the lady isn't going to be thee by sharp 12 we will leave, I decided. We got there and it was 11:58. We waited. It was 11:59. As per Akshay's watch, that shows seconds and milliseconds, there was only 30 seconds and 867, no 868, no.. Ugh the milliseconds are tough to track down for someone like me. Anyway what I was trying to convey was there is only some time and the lady hasn't came yet. I waited impatiently for the 30 seconds to pass real quick.

I was glaring at Akshay's watch which glows at night. 3... 2... 1... Yes. I looked up happily that we can get back to home. But the same cloak I saw earlier today was moving from the dark to our visibility. My broad chest lost its shape as my fear increased. There was nothing to do other than listen to her now. We hold each other's hands as we moved a step forward. "Who are you and what do you want?" Akshay asked bravely. "The Indian friend of Mathew. He has told a lot about you three. And Aria, I hope that's you. He has spoke about you too sometimes." The old woman talked. We all looked at each other, clear confusion visible in our faces and minds. "Please follow me." She requested. I looked at my friends not sure what to do. Aria moved forward and did the talking, "and why should we follow you, may I ask?" "I told you. We don't need them. Filthy little humans" A young male voice spoke. Aria's face was in pure disgust and Akshay was ready to beat him right then. Ruby looked confused. "And who are you to speak like that, you ungrateful" "STOP" quickly the voice came from the old lady's cloak as her hand moved like a bat's wing to motion whoever that was standing in the dark. I noticed a silver twinkling thing in between the woman's cloak but it was quickly covered when she noticed that I was looking at it.

Somebody held my hand and I got scared at the sudden gesture. It was Ruby and she pulled me out of the group. "What?" I asked "shh.. I think we should get going with them. We have not much time to spare after all" she replied. "Why are you even whispering? I told you they can read minds." We both looked at the cloaked figure. "I don't think she can read everyone's" Ruby said, her facing glowing in confidence and rage, something that is rare in her face. "Or maybe we can block our minds."