Chapter-7

Except the constant bullying, glaring, smacks and hits, everything is going fine for a week now. Jay has been coming to school for 3 days and being the favorite student of the teachers, it has done good -no great to him. He dislikes the are you okays he is getting just because -as he says- being hospitalized for some stupid reason. Akshay, he has been asking for the same past week why haven't I reacted to Monica the way I did with Christopher and I have been denying any way of answering him which I know I must do soon before him finding out some other way. I have been considering him as a good friend just because of the way he behaves to us, especially to Ruby. He is apologizing to her for not telling that Monica is her step sister all the time and right now is a moment, "Look I was scared that you guys will shut me down just because I am the step brother of your bully" "Oh yes! Befriend us and tell whatever we are talking about her to her, right?" Ruby asked annoyingly. And as soon as Akshay opened his mouth to tell her something she cut him off, "And for god's sake shut that lying mouth of yours, please" That was more of a command, I know that sound of her even though she doesn't use it much. Mathew looked at me helplessly asking for them to stop. And I got something to distract them. "Mathew, did you studied for the Chemistry test today?" I asked before anyone of the duo made a comment. "oh yes I did." He replied hoping that the duo has noticed us but unfortunately they were having a staring contest. Oh my! These two! "Have you studied for the test Akshay?" I asked him poking him. He wasn't taking his eyes off Ruby's "Which test?" He asked, "Chemistry" I replied "Yes I have" and as soon as the words slipped out of his mouth he regretted it. He wished he lied. "Uhmm.. But.. Uh- I ain't getting anything" he quickly corrected himself and started to act as if he is nervous. Overacting, I would say. I mentally face palmed. Ruby would never like him if he is going to act like this. He might ruin what they have now also. I looked at her to see her already glaring at me. She might be getting flashbacks on what I have said last day over phone. I remembered it as I smiled.

"Uhm bro, you know he likes you right?" I asked her over phone

"Who?" Ruby asked quickly.

"Akshay, of course yes" I said in a duh sound.

"Yo- You are lying." she really did stutter. Aw.

"Rubedium Celsia, I know you very well. You just stuttered because you are nervous enough to even talk about him. And if you are not seeing it yet sis, you might really be blind" I said in a much clearer voice.

"Janet, I am sure you are mistaken." she told in a very calming voice.

"Oh please! Even new born babies will understand his pathetic trials. Pathetic but cute. And if you don't believe just look how he is behaving towards you tomorrow. Trying his best everyday, that young boy. And you not seeing it should be named as tragic."

That was one hell of a moment. I changed my gaze towards Mathew and he was trying his best suppressing a giggle. Yes, he is also shipping them. "I really don't know what to do. Please Ruby help me." Akshay said giving the best puppy eyes ever. One of a kind, he is. But she wanted to come ruining the moment. "Are you really asking Rubedium a doubt?" I was looking forward for this moment today. Note the sarcasm you all. "That too in Chemistry? You were the brightest student in the school you were studying and now you are lying? For What?" Monica finished pretending to think. "Don't tell me that you are in love with Rubedium brother." she completed with a well acted shock on her face. This is the last time I am going to let her ruin Ruby's life. Just because she hates me doesn't mean she can pick my best friend up. I stood up and said, "Monica, if you have any grudge against me tell to me, like a real woman do. Don't go messing up your own step brother's life." and by now all the eyes were on us now. 

"Maybe you know the reason"

"Enlighten me please"

She winced at my reply, "If I were you, I would not tell that."

"If I were you I wouldn't be so scared."

"Fine I am scared because if he gets close to you, you will kill him" she replied and anger already is finding a way to express itself. "Like you have killed my sister." Okay that's it.

"Which is a complete lie." before I can reply somebody interrupted us. It was Ruby. "Just because she din't knew how to swim doesn't mean you can put the blame on me" It was me who spoke.

"We three know that it is her word that costed my sister's life."

"Care giving an explanation?" I asked, staring at Monica's eyes. That is the only way I can be angry at her.

"Oh yes. Everyone who were close to you died or experiencing worse conditions. Like my sister, your brother" She have no right to pull my brother into this.

"And what about Ruby?" I asked, my voice dangerously low.

"Because you both aren't close. Not As close as my sister and you were Janet. Dangerously close." she whispered the last two words.

"That's it Monica. I kept my calm till now just because you are Moana's sister. But let me tell you, no matter how hard you try you never gonna be like her. Because you guys are two people. You two have different behaviors. And mostly, Moana has magical eyes. Not like the dim ones of yours." She hated the last sentence. She was jealous of her sister just because of her eyes. And let me tell you, she was partially happy when Moana died. Her competition was less or dead. Not that Moana won't give up for her twin. Monica was scared.

"You.." She didn't get to complete her sentence as Mrs. Thompson interrupted us. "If you don't want me to give the five of you detention, go back to your respected seats and eat." Yes, they always do this. They don't care who did wrong or not. Who broke the boundaries or not. They will give detention to whoever they like. I settled back to my seat and started to continue the sandwich I was munching when I noticed that Ruby was exceptionally quiet. And her expression was something I haven't yet. She looked hurt. "Hey? You alright?" I asked her, concerned and worried. "You... you are hiding something." she said quietly. "I thought I was your best friend but, boy, how wrong I was" I was totally whipped by her words. "What are you talking about, sis?" I asked even though I knew what was happening. Monica has surely injected the venom in her through words. And that dangerously close has hurt her. Really hurt her. She locked her eyes with me and I could see the pain behind the blue eyes deeper than ocean. Her eyes were already glassy from the amount of tears she has been holding in. She quickly turned her head, flipping her hair, and walked out of the lunch room. I was too stunned at her actions that I didn't even got to hold her hands and stop her from going. Of course I am scared of loosing some one I love once more but you can't blame me for that. Anger against Monica boiling up and guilt for not opening up with Ruby were already shattering me inside. I looked down where she was sitting minutes ago as I felt my nerves cracking. "I will go check up on Ruby" Said Akshay after having a silent agreement. A few minutes of silence passed when Mathew thought of breaking it. "Bell is going to ring in two minutes time. If you don't want to attend the rest of the classes I can walk you home. Only if you don't mind." He was being genuine, I know it. I slowly took my backpack and started to walk out of the lunch room and eventually out of the school, Mathew following me silently with his backpack on. "Are you sure you wanna walk me home?" I asked, but the voice came out lower than it was supposed to. He nodded and we walked to my home. I took the keys and unlocked the door but not before asking, "Can you do one more favor?" "Yeah, sure" he replied. "Can you drop my little brother after the class ends? Only if you are okay with it." I asked and he smiled. "Friends are to help when in need, and I am glad to help you" He said and I smiled at him. I shut the door slowly and walked to my room, locking it and sitting against the wall by holding my knees closer to my chest and laying my head on it. I let the tears escape that I was holding in for so long as I thought about all the good times. She is my best friend and I didn't wanted to loose her, so I hide the truth. But if I said before she might have been fine with it. I hold myself together as I cried in the silent background.