1.1

Laugher echoed throughout the Glade. A noise most would take for granted, yet not here, not in this place in which it was welcomed to the quiet serenity of the glade.

The air was bitter cold outside, forcing the lads to nestle together round a small fire in the newly upgraded homestead; drinking Gally's notorious concoction that was the closest thing they had to the burning sensation of alcohol.

The sun had long since gone to sleep, leaving them in an unending, grim, dark abyss of the Glade. However, the normal bleakness of the night had been chased away by the laughter and drinking among friends, the warming remembrance of Frypan's dinner, still lingering in their mouths.

Although, there was no real reason for celebrating with Gally's toxic brew, having the last greenie arrive almost a month ago now, all of them were just thankful for the company and took pleasure in the precious moments in the glade when they felt like life wasn't too bad.

Gally had his legs drawn up to his chest, his arms wrapped lightly around his knees, his glass of a bitter, amber drink hanging loosely between his fingers in front of him. He was a menacing looking lad of around 16, and a lot of the younger boys were terrified of the keeper of the builders. But they had good reason to be, he was harsh, and an excellent fighter, happy to take anyone down by just so much as looking at him.

Yet in his drunken haze around the fire, he was happy to be loud and rambunctious around his brothers. Even Alby, the leader of the sweaty group of boys, had dropped his authoritative demeanour, becoming increasingly more light hearted, the more he downed the amber substance.

No one was in their right mind, yet they all still clung to a string of sanity in the dark of the night. Newt - Alby's second in command - let out a loud laugh at a joke made by the Med-jack, Jeff, who squirmed in amusement beside him.

The sound was infectious, and soon everyone was lost in a colossal wave of delight.

Once the noise died down slightly, Gally took a deep swig of his drink before staring at everyone over the fire, "so, there had never been a girl here? Not even one?", he groaned in disgust, and the others soon tuned in to listen.

Alby was the one to respond, and shook his head lightly, "nah, if there was one, she must not of lasted very long as when myself and the originals showed up we were all alone. So unless any of you lads are hiding something, it's only been guys", he smirked as a few held their hands up in defence, letting out amused chuckles.

Gally shoulders sagged, "it's a damn shame really, isn't it?"

Minho, keeper of the runners cocked his head in the builder's direction, "why? Do you not enjoy our company Gally?" he joked and fluttered his eyelashes teasingly, while clinking glasses with a few of the other boys, letting out a few chortles.

Gally rolled his eyes, "not what I mean shank. I meant it would be nice to have a couple of girls in this place. No offence, but hanging around all you slintheads is getting really old", he grinned.

A lot of the boys nodded their heads in agreement, one of them even chanting, "here, here", whilst raising his glass to the stars.

Newt tipped his head back, swallowing the last remaining dribbles of the brew, before wiping his mouth and smirking at Gally, "alright, if we could have a girl in here, what would she be like?".

There was an instant clamour of noise, some boys yelling out their preferences, while others sat in silence, deep in thought.

Ben, a runner, chuckled as he clapped Gally on the back, who was grinning broadly, his eyes closed, as if he were imagining her in front of him now.

"Blonde, definitely blonde. Kinda short and big -", he stopped on the last word, but everyone knew what he meant as he reached out his hands and mimed grabbing two large breasts, which resulted in a heap of immature laughter.

"Keep dreamin'", Minho chortled as he playfully punched his friend on the arm, which resulted in a simple chuckle from the builder, something he would never of done if he was sober.

The other boys then continued throwing in their suggestions, and Newt grinned as he swung his glass through his fingers, watching the moonlight reflect on its surface.

"Shouldn't we lads, be focusing more on personality than on looks, wouldn't you like a girl who's smart?", he grinned and the boys erupted in a chain of "here we go"; and "you know what we mean".

Newt chuckled to himself, pleased that he could still rile them up, as Jeff started playfully punching him.

"You know what I'd fancy myself in a girl, is a woman who loves her food. Tis a way a life, it's an art, and I can't have a girl who don't appreciate it", Frypan, the head chef, piped up, wagging his finger sassily.

Amongst the uproar, a few boys charted, "only for you Fry!", and pretended to swoon into his arms.

It was in moments like these that the boys felt content in their little prison; like they could do anything, and even be so bold as to escape the maze.

"How do we even remember girls? It's like I can see them, but not quite; I know who they are, but not really, you know what I mean?", the keeper of the Slicers Winston spoke up, which resulted in a lot of furrowing eyebrows.

"I dunno, maybe we're all thinking of our girlfriends before the maze?", Gally suggested, a wide grin on his face, imagining his dream girl.

"Or...maybe we're thinking of our sisters and mothers, we just don't know it", George teased, making Gally's face drop into a sickening frown, slowly turning green.

The boys erupted in groans and gagging noises, "way to ruin a party, eh!" Newt laughed and slapped the runner on the back, who grinned maliciously at his comment. 

Alby grinned as he now looked at his second, his lips curling upwards, "what about you Newt? What does your dream girl look like?", he smirked, as the others all called out with 'ooooh' and 'go on Newtie!".

Newt smirked as the others chanted him on, and reluctantly placed his empty bottle down beside him, sitting up straight.

"Alright", he began and they all erupted in cheers. Once the noise died down slightly, he started with, "well I dunno, maybe...she'd have a nice smile", which the others reacted with encouraging grins.

"She'd also have...well...just be different", he finished and the others looked at him blankly.

"Thats it?", Gally spluttered and the boys demanded an explanation.

"Lads, lads, lads, I've got more just...up here", he grinned and tapped his head with his finger.

"Then tell us shank", Frypan persisted, and the others echoed him.

"You know what, I think I won't", he smirked as he pushed himself off the dirt floor, the groans of the boys getting louder and he brushed off the muck.

"Tell us!", the chanted, but he just shook his head, "I don't know about you guys, but I am just feeling really tired, I think I might have to retire" he smirked, loving how he kept them all in suspense.

It wasn't just about teasing them. There was a girl. A girl in his dreams. However, he didn't really feel like explaining her to them lot.

"Newt's right, it's getting late, besides we have a big day tomorrow", Alby declared as he too stood up, followed by a slurring Minho, who wobbled as he tried to walk, clinging onto his friend for support.

"Aren't you supposed to be running tomorrow?", Ben laughed as Minho staggered forward, "yes...but you only live once!", he called, his arms spread wide in the cold, night air, the others laughing around him.

Newt chuckled to himself, watching his friends sway in each others arms. He was thoroughly looking forward to seeing Minho get out of bed the next day, but despite that, there was still much to-do.

After all, the new greenie would be arriving.