1.8

Over the next couple of weeks, Vera settled in nicely. She made it her routine to get up to watch the sunrise, it brought her hope and a sense of joy, which motivated her for the day ahead, taking her mind off the fact that they were trapped here.

Still in the early hours of the morning, Vera would do a bit of light running, in hopes to strengthen her ankle, which still ached, yet was thankfully improving. She hadn't mentioned it to the boys, and much to her appreciation none of them spoke to her of it, like they knew she didn't want them too.

Newt was the most understanding of it, most likely due to the fact he had his own limp as well.

Every morning after this usual routine, she and him would chat about the day ahead or about last nights usual incident, involving Ben and George wrestling. Vera liked seeing him every morning, it was slowly starting to turn into a little tradition, they'd even created a little handshake when they saw each other. It was their own little thing. One Vera would treasure. He was a true friend, and had also filled her in on the rules of the glade, and was generally just someone she could hang around with and laugh.

After seeing Newt, Vera would start on breakfast, making lunches for the runners too. She never got tested to be a runner, but then again, she couldn't really run with a limp. She just wished she knew how she got it.

The boys had theorised that she'd put up a fight, and that's why she came up late with an injured ankle.

However, when she wasn't fussing over her foot, she was cooking for her fellow chef. She enjoyed cooking with Frypan. It wasn't her favourite thing in the world, but she supposed no one here truly liked whatever job that they were given.

Speaking of not liking things, Gally had been his usual arrogant self, making Vera no acceptation, yet despite his moments, she certainly had fun with him after every evening meal when they would arm wrestle. He'd of course win, though that did not stop her from trying again and again.

Life was as good as it could be for their circumstances, and Vera took everyday as it came.

***

During dinner one night, George and Ben were telling a story of their encounter with a griever that day.

"It had to be the biggest thing I've ever seen!" George said, spreading his arms wide in an attempt to provide visuals. Minho rolled his eyes towards Vera, who was carrying a plate of food as she sat down between him and Newt.

"They've seen a griever?" She gasped, chewing on a bit of bread.

"Nah, they're just being dramatic as usual, no one had actually seen one and lived to tell the tale" Minho answered under his breath as he lent in.

"Then how do you know they're out there?" She frowned, stabbing a bit of food with her fork.

At her words a roar echoed throughout the glade, giving her her answer.

"I see" she lulled, then proceeding to chew on a bit of meat.

"Well a few guys have seen them, but they were either ripped to shreds or came back stung and had to be banished" Newt frowned, eating his own food as he explained.

Vera bit her lip at the thought, now knowing what banishment meant after Newt had explained it to her the other day. The boys story though, soon snapped her back to attention.

"It's a good thing I was there when the thing came up behind Toto", George then stated, as Toto then threw a piece of his dinner at him.

"Shut up, that's jacked!" He half shouted, half growled.