2.12

Vera didn't know how long she'd been asleep,
she barely remembered anything after a sensational, sweet smell of stew and the delicious taste of potatoes.

Upon waking up though, memories of last night and yesterday came swarming back. She was in no mood to sulk though, in fact she was more confused as she heard a loud commotion from outside.

Cursing she slipped her boots back on, swearing to one day hang whoever let her sleep during the day. Things needed to be done during the day and by the sounds of it, she may have missed something big.

It seemed to be late afternoon and as she walked through the glade, up and about again, she noticed a crowd gathering round the council hall, the source of the noise.

"Chuck what's going on?" she asked the small boy as she jogged up to him. He immediately turned to face her, hand on his hips, "they found a clue in the maze!" he beamed, causing her eyes to widen.

"What do you mean a clue? Who went into the maze?" she stuttered, wandering if she was still dreaming.

"Thomas did; he, Minho, Zart, Fry and Winston all went in and discovered something, not sure what, but it seems big" he explained, clearly excited.

Vera sighed; she thought Minho was going to sort Thomas out, not encourage him and bring the others along. This is why she should never sleep during the day.

"Hey! Where're you going?" Chuck called after her as she marched towards the council hut.

"To find out what the bloody hell is going on" she called back, continuing on her path.

***

The girl marched into the room, all the boys heads turning to face her.

"Vera, you're awake" Fry stated, somewhat surprised by her grand entrance, though he knew he shouldn't be.

"Yeah, just woke up...the funny thing is, Chuck just told me you guys went into the maze and found a clue! When was I going to be informed on this?" she protested, looking around at the seven of them.

"Sorry, we didn't want to wake you, plus we only just got back" Thomas explained, grabbing something that was in Newt's hands.

"Here, we found this" he elaborated, scooting up next to her and handing the girl a weird cylinder with the familiar letters if W.C.K.D imprinted upon it.

Vera studied it, accepting the weird device from Thomas.

"These are the same letters on our supply boxes" she queried, frowning as she handed the cylinder over to Newt.

"That's what I said, Tommy here, was just explaining his theory" he replied, nodding in the greenie's direction.

All attention turned back to Thomas, "I was saying that whoever put us here obviously made the grievers. Now listen, this is the first real clue, first anything you've found in three years, right Minho?" he asked, looking at the keeper who nodded in response.

"Right" he agreed, everyone now turning to look at the second in command, examining the weird device.

"Newt, we gotta go back out there, who knows where this might lead us" Thomas finished explaining.

Everyone was silent for a moment.

Gally was the first one to break it, looking towards Newt. "You see what he's trying to do right? First he breaks our rules, now is convincing us to abandon them totally", he began, an awkward silence filling the air as the builder rambled on.

Vera loved Gally, and she knew why he was acting this way...she just wished he wouldn't.

"The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together, why now are we questioning that?" he asked, now looking directly at her.