2.15

It was strange to think that last night she'd been partying with the grievers.  So much had happened since then, and just thinking about it was exhausting. After chatting in the kitchen for who knows how long, Vera had at last given Teresa her bed, since everyone during the day had been too busy to set up a hammock for the girl. 

After saying her goodnights and don't let the bed bugs bite, (cos seriously, they did), Vera wandered over to the boys hammocks where most of the lads were already asleep. She presumed Alby and Newt were almost finished with the evening checks, and so she set out to find them, however a small figure sneaking through the trees caught her eyes.

Curiously, she followed the glader, who seemed to be trying their best to creep back to bed without anyone noticing. They had of course failed as with a cunning smile, Vera crept up behind them, her voice piercing the eerie silence.

"Freeze".

Chuck went rigged at the sound of her, slowly turning round to face the girl who was smirking with her arms crossed. 

"Ah man, I thought you were with the new greenie" he cursed, pouting at being caught. Vera chuckled lightly, now gracefully leaning against the tree holding up his hammock.

"Oh I was, but I thought she'd be tired so I gave her my bed" she explained, whilst examining her grubby nails. Chuck pursed his lips, before staring up at her with guilty eyes. 

This caused Vera to raise an eyebrow, curious as to why the young boy was looking at her like that.

"What have you done?" she suddenly asked, standing back up to get some answers. At first Chuck said nothing, only continuing to look guilty, till at last he caved under her piercing, green gaze.

"I...um...may have...given some food to Thomas..." he mumbled, barely audible, even in the silence of the night.

Vera didn't know what she was expecting him to say, but it wasn't that. However, that did not matter as he face lit up into a grin as she quietly, but enthusiastically high fived him.

"Yes Chuck!"

The boy immediately perked up, pleased to see her proud of his actions. 

"I thought he couldn't run on an empty stomach tomorrow, so after you and the greenie left the kitchens, I snuck in" he explained, a sense of pride flooding his face. Vera grinned as he did, ruffling his curls as she sat down on the empty hammock beside his, obviously Thomas's vacant one. 

"That sounds great Chuckie, did you show him the figurine you've been working so hard on as well?" she asked, smiling as he went over his former plan. He paused at her question, nodding his head as he tried to make himself comfortable. 

"Uh huh, he really liked it and said he was gonna find my parents one day so I could give it to them" he elaborated, finally settling on a position where his eyes met the stars. Vera's breath stopped at the confession, nodding her head slowly. 

"He said that?" 

"He did...though I'm not sure I believe him, I mean...I don't doubt your guys skills as runners in the maze tomorrow, but I do" he said bluntly, causing a snort to escape her lips. Vera immediately covered her mouth, trying to remain quiet for the boys who were trying to sleep.

"Thanks Chuck, it's great to know I have your belief" she giggled, calming down slightly as she looked at the boy who was grinning away. 

"Your welcome" he declared, fiddling with the wooden figurine in his hands. Vera watched him for a second, her eyes lingering on the small bit of art he'd created, and she knew that is meant so much more than that.