2.17

"What the hell is going on out there?" Newt exclaimed as Vera, Minho and Thomas came jogging back into the glade; a ring of boys gathering around the entrance. Newt wasted no time in throwing his arms around Vera, pulling her tightly to his chest.

Eventually, he pulled back, facing her with a look that seemed to be a cross between anger and something more like relief. She could only mouth "I promised didn't I?" before Gally cut in.

"What the hell have you done now Thomas?" he spat, completely ignoring her. Vera only did the same back, her chest panting up and down as she caught her breath, whilst letting go of Newt.

"We found something, a passage, we think we may have found a way out" Thomas beside her answered, all of the gladers trying to match their pace.

"Really?" Newt asked hopefully, his face lighting up as he took her hand in his, giving her a look to say we'll talk later.

After all, this was the first time they had seen each other since...well last night.

"It's true" she breathed, smiling as she caught her boyfriends' gaze.

"We opened a door, something neither I nor blondie have ever seen before...we think it must be where the grievers go during the day" Minho elaborated, also trying to catch his breath.

From behind them, another voice piped up, "Woah, Woah, Woah, are you saying you found the grievers home? Are you saying you want us to go in?" Chuck gasped, jogging up beside Vera as she slung an arm around his shoulders.

"There way in could be our way out" she smiled, suggesting her theory. Chuck looked hesitant to agree, but hopefully anyway.

A deep, booming voice suddenly snapped from behind them, and Vera turned to see Gally storming towards them.

"Yeah, or there could be a hundred grievers waiting for us on the other side" he spoke up, causing her to purse her lips in frustration. She'd just about had enough of him and his attitude. 

"Truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done as usual!" 

That caused the boy beside her to spin round and get right in the builders face.

"Well, at least I did something, Gally. I mean what have you done? Aside from hiding behind these walls?" he argued.

 Newt and Vera exchanged satisfied smirks but got ready to break up a fight if needs be. The intensity between the two boys was overwhelming.

"Listen here greenie, you've been here three days, I have been here three years!" Gally retaliated, holding out his numbered fingers.

"Yeah, and you're still here! What does that tell you?! Maybe you should start doing things a little differently!" Thomas shouted, causing the builder to go bright red. Vera was enjoying seeing Gally being brought down a level, bout' time someone stood up to him.

During this little performance of theirs, she had become so enraptured with the boys that she didn't know Teresa had snuck up beside her, trying to get all of their attention.

"Hey -"

"Maybe you should be in charge huh, what about that?" Gally snapped, he and Thomas literally nose to nose.

"HEY!" Teresa then shouted, causing everyone to look at her. The girl looked serious as their eyes met, her dark hair blowing in the light wind.

"It's Alby...he's awake" she finally stated, causing worry to appear on everyone's faces. That was all it took for Vera to take off, rushing towards where her friend lay.