2.16

The morning sun came in a palette of orange and pink and lying in a distant corner of the glade, surrounded by bushes and wildflowers, two teenagers lay.

Vera herself had been lying awake for many minutes, her body covered by a thin blanket, the cotton tearing away in places and so the grass was enabled to poke through and onto her bare skin.

Smiling, she turned her head round to see Newt still entwined with her, as fast asleep as she had been moments ago. That was probably the first dreamless night she'd had in months, years even, and so took pleasure in making these perfect moments last a little longer. 

Vera traced her finger in circles along his chest, studying every time he took a breath, the displacement of his dirty blonde hair and how his lips were slightly parted in his morning composure. 

He looked so peaceful. 

She couldn't bear to wake him, so quietly she rolled out from his arms, creeping over to her discarded pile of clothes. 

There, in the grass he slept, deeply and soundly. 

"I love you" she whispered, bending down to place a kiss on his cheek, almost gasping when he groaned at the contact, rolling over to become more comfortable. Vera smiled as he did, quickly pulling her shirt over her head, now completely dressed for the day. 

With one last look, she bid him a sweet farewell before she turned and began jogging over towards the kitchens. 

What a night that had been...

She loved Newt with all her heart, which is why she couldn't bear to say goodbye again. If she died in the maze today, then her farewell would've been of those blissful moments before sleep took hold of her last night. 

Flashback -

Lying, tangled together, Newt and Vera gasped for breath, side by side and hands entwined in blissful harmony. 

Their skin was bare to the coolness of the night, bathing them both in silver light, eliminating the darkened skies. Slowly, the boy's hands traced over the girl's stomach, noting every jagged line and lump, of her still dominant scar. Though his hands lingered there, his eyes trailed over her body, falling in love with the girl all over again. 

Every inch of her, all her scars, curves and insecurities.

"You're so beautiful you know that right?" he whispered into her ear after some time of holding each other in serene silence.

Vera felt blush creep onto her cheeks once more, smiling wildly at his words, turning her head round to see him fully.

"And you are drooling" she smirked, as Newt quickly wiped his lips, chuckling as she kissed him on the cheek.

In these moments, Vera was allowed to forget everything that was happening, so you could understand her desperation to stay with the boy beaming up at her. The boy she'd given her heart and body to.

After a moment, Newt allowed his fingers to trail up to her face, brushing aside her golden hair. 

"Is there anything I can say to convince you to stay tomorrow?" He asked with a hopeful gaze. 

Vera gave him her best comforting smile, knowing that her promise to find a way out would prevail in the end. 

She didn't have to say anything for him to know the answer.

"Well, in that case, allow me to enjoy holding the bravest and most beautiful girl at my side" he smiled, holding her tightly in his arms.

Vera giggled as he did, "I'm your only choice out of two" she declared.