2.4

The night was young, and in a chorus of cheers and laughter, Ben and Vera snuck through the wavering crowd, a plate full of Frypan's rock cakes in their hands.

Darkness had soon befallen them, meaning the time for their monthly celebrations to begin. It was always the highlight of her day, what with the food, the music and the general chatter of all the boys together. After helping with cooking earlier, it thankfully, that had given her the insider knowledge of where the sugary treats were kept.

Out of everything, the rock cakes though had to be the best, an ideal that her friend shared.

Together, the two of them sniggered as they wove through the sweaty and clammy bodies of the other gladers, taking a seat behind a log, far from Frypan's sight. They may have taken a little more than they were allowed...okay a lot more.

"You're a genius my friend" Ben laughed, shifting into his seat beside her, referring to her epic plan that had just won them the sugary treats.

"Tell me something I don't know" Vera grinned, flicking her hair over her shoulders and stuffing her now full cheeks with food.

Ben rolled his eyes at her 'humility', smirking as he pointed down to her chest. "Oh...you got a little something there -" he frowned, causing Vera to squint as she looked down to where he was pointing.

"Where -"

She was cut off as Ben brought his finger back up, turning into a flat out palm and shoving her in the face. Her eyes widened at the audacity and the fact that she had just been played, her mouth now hanging wide open.

"OOOOH! Oldest trick in the book girl, come on now, don't tell me this new power Alby has given you has gone to your head?" he cackled, clutching his stomach as he bent over.

Vera pouted as her nose crinkled, folding her arms across her chest, "ha, ha" she huffed, displeased for falling for that.

"Aw don't be sad blondie, I have always been able to get the better of you, this was just a little reminder" he smirked, wrapping a strong arm around her body and squeezing her tightly.

Vera shook him off her, trying her best to look annoyed, "I think you'll find that you have yet to out prank me in terms of the great flink" she hummed, casting a boastful look over to the boy beside her; referring to the incident involving pink socks and flour almost two years prior. 

Ben hysterically shook his head, "yes, but as I recall the great flink is what got pranks banned for about five months. As pranksters we have to be sneaky and subtle. I barely managed to convince Alby to bring that joy back into our lives!"

Vera was about to protest, when a high pitched voice of Chuck echoed from behind her.

"Ooo are you talking about the great flink?" he beamed, sliding in between the two runners.

Both Ben and Vera grinned at his hopefulness.

"Aw, sorry little Chuckie, you ain't never going to find out what happened," Ben cooed, shaking his hand through the boys' curls.

"It it common knowledge that one does not speak of the details of that incident, I thought you would know that by now?" Vera added, raising an eyebrow as she tried to suppress a giggle.

Chuck pinched his lips together before retaliating, "but I don't even know the details of which I must not speak!"

"And that is how it shall remain" Ben concluded, finishing the conversation with a bang of his imaginary hammer, just like in a court room.

The younger boy sighed, biting the inside of his cheek, "you two our hopeless" he huffed, rolling his eyes before two sets of fingers began tickling his sides.