1.17

Nine months.

Nine whole bloody months she'd been stuck in the glade, and now as she stood in her little tree house, watching the sunrise as she always did, did she reflect her Gally's words from her first night here.

"It does get easier".

She didn't know when those words would come into action, but everyday so far felt like it was getting harder.

Vera adored Gally, he was like a brother to her, but she often wondered if his words would only come true if she accepted that they weren't getting out.

It seemed to her like the builder had made his peace with this prison of theirs; in fact on the days when the two of them would lounge about by gardens he would even try and persuade her not to go into the maze, filling her head with notions about there was no point and that it wasn't safe.

The latter point may be true, but the first certainly wasn't.

Despite, running the maze practically everyday, and only finding more uncharted territory, Vera still held the firm faith that they would find a way out.

They had too.

"Yo where is my favourite partner in crime", a mischievous voice chuckled from behind her, snapping her from her thoughts as she turned to see the handsome George smirking from behind her, a single strand of his brown hair floating over his eyes.

"Hello there, Georgie", she giggled, elongating her words as he sat down beside her, stealing her half eaten apple from her hand, and taking a bite.

"Hey that was my breakfast!", she protested, trying to fight for the fruit in his palm.

"You call this breakfast?!", he scoffed, raising an eyebrow at the weedy apple, throwing it back to her.

"Yes actually", she replied, taking her own bite, and swallowing slowly, giving him a quick smirk.

"That is no way to keep you sustained in da maze all day, you know what Minho says, an egg a day keeps the grievers away", he teased, jabbing at her stomach.

She laughed, as she tried to keep the food in her mouth, shoving his hands off her.

"I know, I know, believe me, I love my egg a day, Newt makes sure of it, but..."

"But...", he echoed, leaning in closer.

"It's just I've got this horrible feeling I'm being watched...more than usual...I swear I've seen about ten beetle blades this morning", she explained, finishing off the piece of fruit in her hand.

"Woah, that must be a new record", he joked, leaning back onto his hands, letting the morning sun caress his face.

"I think it must be...but why are they watching today? I mean nothing special is happening?", she pursued, still unsure about it all.

"Girlie listen to me, the bugs are probably just watching ya because you're looking particularly radiant in the summers sun this morning", he replied, fluttering his eyelashes at her.

"Not too shabby yourself", she chuckled, shoving his face away from her, George fixing his hair as she did.

"I know, I'm stunning aren't I", he swooned, letting his head fall on her lap, and puckering up his lips.

"You're an idiot too, you know that right", she laughed, raising an eyebrow.

"A very attractive idiot", he winked, his lips still awaiting the fair maidens kiss.

"Never gonna happen", she declared, shoving him off her, as he pouted as he dismissal.

"Only because you're completely in love with a certain gardener, and you want to save your special kisses for him", he teased, resulting in her mouth opening in protest.