1.24

Newt and Vera didn't return to the homestead. They just remained in each others arms, kissing until they gasped for breath. They did nothing further than that, so when it was long into the night, they crept back, taking shelter in her hut and cuddling in each others arm on her bed, till the sun woke them up later that morning.

Vera's eyes fluttered open, light creeping in through the cracks of the walls, highlighting Newt's peaceful face as he slept. Smiling, she brushed away a lock of hair from his face, before placing a gentle kiss on his lips, greeting him for the day.

"Hmmm", he smiled, sitting up as she pulled away, trying to kiss her further.

"I like this new morning routine", he grinned, clasping onto her waist as he rolled her over, unfortunately resulting in them both landing on the floor.

"Oof", she huffed, as she landed on Newt's chest, the air falling out of her.

He grimaced as she rolled off him, finally pushing himself up, "let me guess, don't worry about it, you do that most mornings", he grinned, taking the words right out of her mouth.

She gasped, shoving him playfully on the shoulder, their quiet laughter dying down.

After a quick moment of silence, Vera spoke up, "so what happens now" she sighed, resting her head on his shoulder, their hand entwined.

"I guess we face the beasts", Newt replied, his tongue clicking as he gave her a quick smile, placing a light kiss on her forehead.

She returned that kiss with another one on the lips, giggling as Newt pushed her onto the floor, laying above her with his arms outstretched.

"Can't we just stay like this for a few more minutes" she pouted; enjoying the first few moments of contented peace she had felt since arriving in the glade.

"You'd like that wouldn't you", he laughed, pushing him off her.

"Yes I would. Now do something useful and help me up", she grinned, resulting in him rolling his eyes, as he then bent down to pull her up.

She grimaced as he did, but quickly shook it off, letting out a long huff of breath as she gazed towards the door.

Newt watched her with adoring eyes, then brushed a loose strand of her blonde hair behind her ear.

"You can do this" he smiled, giving her all the reassurance she needed, squeezing her hand.

"Thank you", she whispered, closing her eyes, before taking a deep breath and walked out of the hut.

"So do we tell everyone?" She whispered in his ear as the faint crunch of the leaves crinkled underneath their feet.

"How about we keep it on the down low for now? Break it to them slowly?" He suggested, to which Vera agreed. It was in moments like these that she wished there was a girl in the glade. Someone she could talk to about kissing a boy for the very first time.

Quickly shoving away her thoughts, she planted a mysterious kiss on Newt's lips, giggling as they made their separate ways. Despite the events of last night, they still had places to be; Newt in the gardens and Vera just focusing on getting better.

Dreamily, she wandered over to a more built up part of the glade where a few of the builders were busily at work; her stomach fluttering as her hand lingered with his touch. Smiling merrily as she greeted Gally as she leant against a wooden beam, the builder stopping in his task of repairing a small structures roof.

"Well aren't you chirpy this morning" the builder asked, hopping down from the ladder as a bead of sweat trickled down his brow.

Vera grinned, her cheeks flushed and pink as she leant against a wooden frame, lulling her head round into his direction.