1.21

Vera didn't know what to expect from awaking from a nightmare.

One thing was for sure, was that she didn't expect that, and after the words fell from Newt's mouth, tears falling from his eyes, did she allow it to truly sink in.

From the darkness that had engulfed her in her dreams, a golden thread had appeared. Curiously, she had followed it, leading her towards the light. It had pulled her along, called for her, and then her eyes had opened.

She had been shocked to see the light of day, confused, and then she'd seen him.

Newt.

His head was in his hands, words spilling out.

"You saved me Vee", he sobbed.

"You saved me, and now I will save you...so please don't give up...you have to keep fighting...please" he finished, unaware of her sudden awakening.

She'd heard everything. Half when she was enraptured in her mind, the other half when her eyes fluttered open.

Vera just lay there, the boy sniffling beside her, head in his palms.

Slowly, she reached out her hand. It was an effort as she could barely move it; in fact she could barely move any part of her body, but she did indeed try; reaching further, till her finger lightly tapped his knee.

At first he didn't react.

So she did it again.

That's when he stopped. His body stopped shaking, his sobs had died down, so even the crickets could be heard.

Slowly, his head began looking up, his hands dropping to his side, as he looked at her.

His face was red and blotchy, as were his eyes, filled with a whirlpool of emotions.

"Hey there Newtikins", she smiled weakly, her lips quivering at her words.

"V..Vera", he stuttered, his eyes glistening at her smile, her beautiful smile, grinning up at him.

"You're awake", he gasped, hardly believing what was happening, wiping his tears away with his hand.

"Guess so", she smiled, her voice soft and quiet as she lay there.

It took a few seconds for him to register what was happening, before collapsed on his knees, throwing his arms around her, letting his tears fall onto her chest.

Vera lay there, stroking his hair as he cried, so full of happiness that she was looking up at him, with her wonderful green eyes, smiling back.

The others must've heard his cry for joy, as Alby and Minho came running in. Once they saw her awake, Newt in her arms, they choked out their own cry of happiness.

Crowding round her, they practically bundled the girl underneath them; Vera chuckling until she erupted into a fit of coughs.

Getting off her quick, the three boys gathered by her side, giving her space with concerned looks.

Vera sighed, relaxing into the bed once she finished, gazing upon all three of them glassy eyed.

"We thought we lost you", Alby mumbled, pursing his lips and holding her hand tightly.

"Yeah, we thought you were a goner there blondie", Minho winced; Vera sadly back up at him.

"Guess you're stuck with me then" she joked lightly, resulting in the others chuckling.

Suddenly, big, heavy footsteps sounded from outside, and in ran none other than Gally.

"SHE LIVES!", he beamed, running his hand over his head, the builder never looking so happy, as he rushed over, pushing Minho and Alby out of the way, and wrapping his arms around her frail body.