1.9

It had been but three hours since she'd bid the boys goodnight, when Vera groaned awake, suddenly jolting up from her sleep.

"No, no, no, no, no, no", she whimpered as she clambered out of her hammock, her eyes dead set on the wet red patch in the centre, fumbling for her trouser lace, pulling them down to see the blood.

"No!", she gasped and fell to her knees.

"Why! You take away my memories, but you can't take away this?!" she cried, clutching her stomach, as she groaned.

What was she going to do? She was in a glade filled with boys, they wouldn't have the foggiest idea.

Pulling up her trousers up again, and immediately began searching for some kind of cloth she could use.

Vera pulled out one of her spare shirts from her crate, bidding it a sweet farewell, before she began tearing it up into strips, her panic setting in. She'd cleaned herself up the best she could, before removing her now dirty items of clothing and hammock, then rushing outside.

It was still incredibly early, probably around 2am, with all the boys, thankfully, still asleep.

With the bundle in her arms, she rushed to where the sloppers washed the clothes and immediately retrieved some fresh water, dumping her pile into the warmish water and began scrubbing ferociously.

Her hair was a mess, and she felt absolutely awful. Sick and not to mention the raging stabbing pains in her stomach twanged through every scrub, making her want to throw up, but the urgency to get everything cleaned drove her forward.

Somewhat satisfied, she quickly hung up her hammock and trousers on the line, her stomach cramps getting considerably worse. She tipped out the dirty water, put everything back, and set about trying to find more clean fabric, her hands shaking frantically as she searched through different crates.

Once she'd made more liners, she placed them in her hut, before quickly rushing to the shower, cleaning herself off thoroughly, the cold water hardly helping her condition.

"Why? Why? Why?!", she shouted to herself, only the birds fleeting at her cries. She'd completely forgotten about her period, to be honest, there was a tiny part of her hoping that it wouldn't come, yet fate had to be cruel.

After her cold wash, she struggled to crawl back to her hut, but she eventually did, and curled up in the corner, the glade still submerged in darkness.

So until she had to get up, Vera shook, awake and in agony the whole time, desperately trying to get some sleep, but failing.

By the time it came to start breakfast, Vera was practically dead. Her eyes were twitching, her hair knotted and her skin was pale and clammy.

She didn't bother brushing her hair as she stormed out of the hut, eyes wide and twitching as she headed over to the cooking area where Frypan was already at work.

A few boys who were awake, jumped back in shock as she stormed through the camp, not used to seeing the usual happy girl so...angry.

"Morning Vera" Fry smiled, almost nervously as he noticed the strange twitch in her eye.

"Yes I can see it is the morning!" she snapped as she grabbed a carrot and began chopping it so fiercely, that Frypan scooched a little to his left to avoid the pain of the knife that he feared would come to him.

"I'm sorry?", he gulped at her sudden viscousness.

"Why say it's the morning, when I can clearly see that! Do you think I am stupid or something!", she retaliated, holding up the knife, Frypan literally now jumping back a pace.