2.5

The dewy, orange sun shone through the cracks in the trees
and slowly Vera crept towards her target. The morning had finally come and after a large mugful of Fry's morning after gloop, Vera found herself stalking in the woods.

There, in the trap she had set the night prior, Cyril the Squirrel stood busily eating the pile of nuts she'd provided.

The demon squirrel.

"Gotcha" she scored, carefully reaching over to grab the piece of rope, ready to catch her prize.

It was about time she made good on her promise.

"What are you doing?" a voice sounded from behind, causing Vera to cry out in protest as Cyril was alerted to their attention.

Squealing, it immediately darted back off into his tree, Vera running after it in desperation.

"NO! CURSE YOU!" she shouted up to it, and she swore, she swore, it stuck its tongue out at her.

Cursing, and using and incredible amount of creative words she kicked the ground in annoyance.

Thomas looked at the girl stunned, confused as to what just happened, and concerned for his ears.

"Um...did I interrupt something?" he mumbled, looking between her and the tree the squirrel had just climbed.

"Oh no of course not. Only my sworn enemy who I have vowed to one day burn at the stake and eat for dinner!" she cried, kicking the tree with her boot only to have several concours fall on her head.

Groaning, she rubbed her sore noggin; Thomas still not looking any more enlightened.

She sighed as she walked up to him, "don't worry about it...just stay away from the squirrels, they bite" she muttered, now gathering her things, muttering a few more formidable words.

Thomas quickly decided to help her, and picked up her rope and one of her daggers.

"Oh, Alby sent me to get you. He said Ben and Minho are waiting for you to go into the maze" he informed her, following quickly behind the blonde girl.

Vera simply nodded, her eyes set on the path ahead.

Thomas waited a second longer, seeing as she wasn't going to say anything else. "Speaking of running...I was....um wondering if you...could tell me, how to...become a runner" he asked, rushing the last part ever so slightly.

That caused a breathy chuckle to escape Vera's lips as she continued to walk on.

"Trust me, you don't want to become a runner" she laughed, but her eyes were filled with no amusement.

"So everyone keeps telling me; but you're a runner, you must've started from somewhere" he retaliated, trying to keep up with her as she ploughed onwards.

"I did, I was a cook before going into the maze, and let me tell you, things were much simpler then" she sighed, now approaching the weapons shed, placing her supplies inside.

Thomas bit his lip in agitation. He wanted answers and no one was giving them to him.

"But -"

"No buts greenie -"

"Thomas".

"Thomas" she corrected, "the maze is a dangerous place, it's not this mysterious hero stuff you think it is. None of us runners go into the maze because we want to" she told him, spinning to face the boy, the morning light glowing down upon them.

"Then why do you go into the maze?" he argued, getting right in her face.

"Because..." she paused to take a breath.