1.7

4 days later...

"Yaaasss girl, you're really getting the hang of this", Frypan cheered as she flipped the flat bread one by one, the scent of fresh bread filling her nose.

Over the past few days, Vera had continued with trying out for where she fitted in with the glade. She'd already established that she wasn't cut out to be a slicer and on the next day, completely outright refused to be a bagger after she fell into a grave.

Gally had laughed as she told him, but shot him with what could be an awarding winning glare, her piercing green eyes glaring into his soul, or as the boys now like to call them, her demon eyes, as they frightened the wits out of them when ever she was angry.

Newt had also laughed, yet gave her a pat on the back for her sportsmanship, seemingly being supportive, yet ruined it all by cracking a joke about her squeal sounding like a chipmunk as she fell.

Living with boys was filled with constant teasing and mockery, but Vera knew deep down, she wouldn't want it any other way.

She had also tried out over the next couple of days for a track-hoe and medjack, which also didn't go so well. What with her killing a bunch of plants, much to Newt's disbelief, resulting in him chasing after her with a shovel and her shouting back, "I didn't mean to hurt the pretty flower".

As a medjack, she too was a disaster, because of accidentally dropping a scalpel on Clint's toe, luckily only chopping off the little one, as Vera proclaimed, which didn't go well with the medjack.

She had apologised profusely, yet he'd still rushed her way to the smirking arms of Newt who asked her what she'd done this time.

Vera had sulked that evening because Gally and Ben kept teasing her, saying she was going to end up as a slopper, however, their theory had now been disproved as she was getting on remarkably well with cooking.

That morning Newt had laughed as he made a prayer to the heavens saying to please not let him die from food poisoning, which many of the other boys mimicked.

Vera had rolled her eyes at them, yet she was also silently praying that she wouldn't kill them, because given her current track record, she was highly likely too.

Yet, as the day went by, she was doing surprisingly well. She got on amazingly with Frypan, both of them laughing and making jokes throughout the day. Being a morning person, she had also managed to give Minho and George the dramatic send off they deserved as they set off for the run, and both had nervously gulped as they took the sandwiches from the girl, terrified of the fact that their lunch was a delicacy of her own creation.

"Have mercy on our souls!", Minho had cried as he and the other runner headed over to where the wall would be opening soon, their teasing wails echoing in the wind.

Yet today had been different.

In her time with Frypan, she had managed to serve up a delicious breakfast of eggs and fried potatoes, which were a necessity, naturally, to the boys.

She had then later made a delicious loaf of bread, which she and Frypan used for the boys lunch, filled with ham; she then even managed to create her adapted version of the cook's famous stew to incorporate more potatoes.

Frypan said they had never eaten so exquisitely.

"This is amazing greenie", Newt grinned as he scooped another mouthful of stew into his mouth, her eyes watching him, eager for his opinion.

"But remember Newt, we chew the food first", she teased, reminding on his previous jokes he'd played on her, so naturally he rolled his eyes.

"Ha ha, very funny", he grinned, "but in all seriousness, we've never eaten so finely in all our time in the glade", he stammered, and Vera hid back her blush behind her hair.