2.18

"AHHHHHH!" Chuck screamed as he was pulled up through the gap in the roof, everyone rushing forward to hold onto the small boy.

"NO!" Vera cried as she latched onto his arm, the others following her. If there was one thing that was certain was that she was not losing another friend tonight, especially not Chuck. He was like her younger brother to her so there was no way in hell she was going to let him be devoured by the snarling griever right above them.

"DON'T LET GO!" Thomas shouted from amongst the madness.

"NO SHIT!" Chuck yelled in response, his sassiness shining through even in the face of death. 

To her right, a sudden roar of a fellow glader caught her attention as Alby charged towards the griever's metallic tail, a machete in hand as he became hacking away at the beast. 

"ARGH!" he shouted with each chop, parts flying off, bit by bit, till finally, at long last the griever let go, roaring in anguish. It immediately retreated, splinters of wood flying everywhere as it shot back through the ceiling, the stinger also falling to the ground along with Chuck.

Vera immediately rushed to his side, holding him tightly to her chest.

"Oh my gosh are you alright?!" she gasped, brushing his hair out of his face, her motherly instincts kicking in. 

The boy looked at her with wide eyes, nodding in terror and relief. 

"Thanks, Alby" he whispered, turning his attention back to their leader who was looking slightly worse for wear. Vera gazed up at him, nodding in appreciation for what he did. Alby smiled weakly in return, beads of sweat dripping down his brow. 

Suddenly, the haunting wails of the grievers returned, filling the air with the utmost animosity. Her face reacted quicker than her mouth as the tail shot through the roof again, heading straight for...

"ALBY!" she screamed as the massive claw latched onto his body, pulling him higher, Thomas rushing to his aid.

It all happened so fast. One minute he was there, the next he was being dragged through the ceiling. Alby muttered something to Thomas, but Vera didn't hear; all she heard were screams and cries of fear as the griever, at last, got the better of them. 

Alby disappearing forever.

"NOOO!" she screamed, sprinting towards the door; Thomas close behind, however, as they reached outside it was finally...quiet.

It was like a shadow had been cast upon them. 

An eerie, chilling sought of silence filled their minds; the crackling of fires and faint sniffles the only noise.

Her whole world had just been destroyed, most of her friends now taken from her as well. Vera felt like her whole chest was about to implode and spun her head around, her throat hitched and her eyes glassy as she made eye contact with Newt. 

He looked at her with despair so painful and raw that she just wanted to run over to him right now, yet the faint thumping of footsteps ahead of them all turned her attention back to the incoming predator. 

Gally was marching towards them. His face was aflame with fury before he quickly swung his fist back and punched Thomas in the face. 

Uproar imploded.

"Woah! Woah! Woah!"

"THIS IS ALL YOU THOMAS! LOOK AROUND!" He shouted, trying to get past Newt and Winston who were holding him back.

"Back up guys this isn't Thomas's fault!" Minho retaliated, trying to calm Gally down. 

"YOU HEARD WHAT ALBY SAID! HE'S ONE OF THEM!"