2.19

It was cold inside the dark confinements of her room. A shadow seemed to seep through the cracks in the wood, bringing with it an unnatural gloom to the world.

Vera didn't know how long she'd been sitting on the wooden bed frame, her head resting against the wall in a dulled silence. Hours maybe? It was still dark outside, so she guessed a good three...

Her friends were dead, her home destroyed and Gally had betrayed her in every way that mattered. She never even got to properly talk to Newt after...after last night, since as soon as she got back Alby woke up, and then there was the whole massacre. 

It was like every chance of happiness she had in the glade, after a moments notice, things twisted dramatically. 

Newt...she wondered what he was doing now, seeing as some time ago the ruckus from outside had died down. She presumed Gally had taken full control and was preventing Newt's presence; if only there was some way to get him a message. 

A plan of action?

Something at least, like how Thomas was faring? Had he woken up yet? 

There was little hope in any of that, and for most, it would seem Vera was destined to be shut in here a great many more moments of time, but to her...when a certain furry friend, slipped within the cracks of her walls, did an idea enlighten her mind. 

"Cyril!" she whispered, as she leant down, using the candle that two of Gally's buddies had provided as her only light source.

The squirrel squeaked as it crept through, seeming a whole less intimidating since their newfound alliance. 

"I thought I lost you in the council hall?" she gasped, allowing the creature to trot onto her hands, the girl now raising him to her face. 

It of course didn't reply to her, nor made a reaction, just sat there, studying her with its eyes. 

Vera bit her lip as she two stared at the creature, narrowing her own eyes in silent judgement. This squirrel had bitten her, chased her through the glade murderously, stolen her food....but, it had also given her that clean bandage, though heavens know how it knew she needed it. 

Piercingly, she took a deep breath before she launched into a lengthy monologue. 

"Listen here punk, I don't know who you think you are, but if you think one small act of kindness is gonna clear up your past mistakes, you're dead wrong. You caused me so much strife for two bloody years, and now you think you can come crawling over to the safety of my arms, well you can't" she laughed at his audacity. 

Vera even swore the squirrel pouted at her. 

"But...I am willing to allow you a chance to prove yourself" she added, now reflecting on her newly thought out plan. Hesitantly, she bit her lip, before she suddenly put Cyril down on her bed and rushed to a wooden crate she used to keep all her belongings in. 

Hastily, she rummaged through them. "Mixtape, no; pan flute, no; Minho's knife collection, no; apple, no...wait why is there an apple in my -- never mind" she shook her head as she talked to herself, discarding the rotten fruit behind her, to which Cyril immediately darted.

"Paper, aha!" she finally exclaimed as she also picked up a little, wooden pencil, spinning round to press her back up against the wall, her legs providing some sort of writing surface. 

Quickly and messily she began writing a note, making sure to put down every detail she wanted to tell Newt. 

Vera paused.