1.16

The prank war was an event to be remembered.

For the next week, the glade was a bomb site for mischief and mayhem, George the remaining champion, despite Vera's best efforts.

He just had a way for causing trouble, and always managed to slide his way onto the attacking side.

It was all fun and games, but eventually it got so out of hand, due to a flour incident and pink socks, (Vera would prefer not to talk about it), that Alby had to issue an order that if anyone so much did the smallest prank, he would be forced to throw them in the pit.

That of course did not work out in George's favour, he was a professional goofball, life and soul.

However, despite the ongoing prank war, Vera had continued to find time to train and shower safely. Ben and Toto had been the last to train her, both their tutoring being much the same as the others. By the time she actually had to enter the maze, she felt truly prepared.

The sun was bright, and the morning breeze tousled her hair into buoyant, blonde curls. Carrying with it the fragrance of earth.

The day had finally come.

Vera's nerves were great, but she managed to hull herself out of bed, get dressed and be ready for the moment she'd been training for. She was a morning bird you could say, and she made it a tradition to always watch the sunrise, so getting up this early was no hardship, her only worry was the day coming.

"You ready?" Newt asked quietly, trying not to wake the others as her fingers twitched, the two of them making their way over to the entrance of the maze. Their hands lightly brushing each others in the morning glow.

"As ready as I'll ever be I guess", she sighed with a small chuckle, trying to make herself feel better, though it was hardly working.

"You know, you don't have to go in there, you can always change your mind", Newt comforted her, secretly wishing she'd listen to him.

Vera of course shook her head, "no. I said I would, and if me going into that maze raises or chances of getting out, even by the smallest percentage, I'm gonna do it", she declared, taking a deep breath to steady herself.

Newt smiled at her proudly. He knew she'd do it, and do it well might he add, he just wished she didn't have too.

"Come on, don't want to be late", he winked, her head resting against his shoulder as they cantered over to the entrance, where George and Alby where waiting.

"Day one blondie, you all good?", Alby confirmed, hands on his hips, ready to send her off.

"Yup", she grinned nervously, checking all the straps on her pack were firmly in place.

"Alright then, the doors should be open in a second, stick with George and everything will be fine", he comforted, rubbing his hand on her back. Vera leant in to wrap her arms around his torso, giving him a quick hug before pulling away.

"I guess this is it then?", she declared, a little fazed out as the doors began clicking open, a familiar grinding and rasping roar taking over.

"You got this", Newt comforted, wrapping his arm round her shoulders, giving her a tight squeeze before letting go.

"Thanks", she mumbled, looking up at him, before walking over to where George waited.

"Come on blondie, you and I are gonna have so much fun, it's going to be great", George laughed, trying to ease her nerves, which slightly worked as she let out a small giggle.

The doors opened a fraction more, now fully open and Vera knew it was time to go. She looked behind her to Alby and Newt, giving the gardener an extra long glance and smile, before turning back around and starting to run.