1.23

The next few days passed in a lengthy, slow downed pace.

At least in Newt's opinion.

Since Vera had awoken he'd try and spend every waking hour with her, despite Alby's protests for him to get on with his own job.

He'd bring her breakfast every morning, an egg her always number one request, then during which he'd tell her about the goings on for the day, and any past stories and happenings from the weeks she'd missed.

Vera enjoyed being informed on everything. She hated how she'd wasted so much time and wanted to get back to normality as soon as possible. However, that thought seemed to get further and further away everyday.

Because of her wound, she still found it hard to sit up; bend over and sometimes even walk. Newt always went through stomach strengthening exercises with her, and was always there to put her back on her feet when she couldn't do so herself.

He was good like that.

The other boys of course never failed to amuse her, what with their wild antics. They even managed to finally receive a way to listen to music from the Creators, for which they sent up a Cassette with ten whole songs per side! To say it had livened up the glade a bit was to say the least.

The boys tried to make her recovery as easy as possible, and for that Vera was grateful. It still wasn't enough though.

Newt knew it, and she knew it too.

Sure, colour had returned to her cheeks, as well as the meat on her bones; and a weak smile upon her face. But Newt knew her too well to know that most of it was forced.

He just wish he knew how to help her and what was going on in that mindset of hers. Newt remembered all too well that horrible feeling of hopelessness, and had once made a promise many months ago to make sure she'd never feel that same way.

It seemed though, he was failing.

Maybe it was the lack of light in her eyes whenever she laughed, or the empty tonality of her words; or how he always found her staring off into space whenever she thought he wasn't looking that allowed him to recognise the feeling.

His heart ached seeing her this way. Happy, but not happy; thinking that this facade of everything was fine was the way to go.

As much as it pained him; he'd wait for her to come when she's ready.

Shaking his head out of his thoughts, he went back to collecting fertiliser for the vegetable patches; wanting to get this done before the sun went down fully. It also seemed that grey clouds were in the horizon, and so hoped that he'd be quick enough to finish all his jobs so he could take shelter.

He supposed they'd probably play a few games tonight in the council room if it did rain, and to be honest, Newt was glad of it. In the past he'd been hesitant towards them as they always ended in chaos, but for the past month they'd been at a total loss. However, Vera's awakening had not only brought with it an overall jovial mood to the boys, but a normality that they hadn't even considered before the incident.

It had been tough with the absence of George and Vera, but now that she was awake, it was like someone was flicking a switch for everything to go back to the way it was.

Suddenly, a twig snapping up ahead turned his attention to a deeper part of the woods.

Was someone there?

Creeping slowly over, he wandered through the trees, a curious look on his face. The noise sounded like it was coming from the deadheads, maybe Ben was visiting George again? He seemed to do that most days now.