8

Chapter 8

𝐽𝐸𝑂𝑁 𝐽𝑈𝑁𝐺𝐾𝑂𝑂𝐾

"Do you think I'm smart? Be honest."

That caused my mother to raise her brows at me as if I said something ridiculous. I didn't find it one at all. I needed her honesty right now, though I doubted I would get if from her. She'd always thought highly of me, and for all I knew, she might be feeding me with lies... sometimes. Even I was confused of myself.

I leaned against the counter and watched her cook in the kitchen. With us together there, the place seemed more cramped than it ever was.

"Why'd you ask?"

"Can't I ask my mother's opinion?" I said.

"You're the smartest person I know."

I groaned at her response, but it still made me crack a smile. I shifted on my feet, my arms folded as I rubbed my elbow. "Would I still be smart to you had I not been your child?"

For the past several years, I was convinced I was academically gifted because I did better than most of the students in class. However, lately I was coming to the conclusion that I might just be average and whatever I had achieved, it wasn't because there was something impressive with me. Perhaps, I worked too hard than anyone else. Just that. Because if I was indeed intelligent like my family loved to claim, nothing that I ever did as a doctor would not have been deemed disappointing.

I was starting to wish I should have not tried my best to graduate top of the class and ace the licensing exam.

"Why? Did something happen at work?"

Doctor Won called me stupid, regardless of all my achievements.

I shook my head and let out a soft laugh. I didn't want my Mom to know that the smartest person she knew was failing her.

"No... just a random thought. Kinda curious of what you think of me."

Doctor Won told my team I must have cheated on med school.

"I always think you're the best."

He also said I'm never going to be a good surgeon.

"You're good at almost everything, Jungkook. I'm dead serious," she told me as she patted my head like she always did when she I needed to be consoled. I wanted to believe her, but with that gesture, it made me feel bad about myself, thinking that she was only fooling me, thinking that it's normal for a mother to praise her child, and thinking that those were just another words of comfort.

I was so scared that it didn't exactly mean anything.

. . .

"Jungkook... you look so down. It's so depressing, come on!" I hadn't noticed I was spacing out until Doctor Nam came to me and lightly tapped my cheek. I flinched at the touch and rubbed the part where her fingers grazed. This was the first time she had done that. I would have been so uncomfortable if she still had a thing for me. As soon as she had settled herself on the seat next to mine, her hand stretched out to offer a bottle of cold water. I accepted it and popped off the bottle cap before taking a swig. She opened hers and drank when I finished.

"Thank you." My voice was barely audible.

I wasn't in the mood to start a conversation and she must have noticed my lack of interest. "I was just at the cardiothoracic department earlier. Met a sweet lady there," she started.

I had a little guess it was Soohyun, but it could be anyone else other than that pretty brat. She'd been quiet these past few days. I hadn't seen her that much and I bet she was busy. Quite a good thing, actually. Nobody would pester me with repetitive, silly love confessions, although I must admit I found few of her reactions cute.

Not worth my time.

"Got a problem? Let me guess... You're sad that I'm seeing a guy that isn't you?" Doctor Nam asked.

What the--

I instantly lifted my gaze and looked at her, trying to confirm if she was serious. I breathed in relief when she giggled uncontrollably, her shoulders heaving up and down. "I was kidding! Did that scare you?"

"Frankly, yes." I smiled.

"Ouch. The pictures I sent you were a waste, then."

Now that she mentioned it, I was under the impression she could be way more confident than Park Soohyun. That woman might be trying to appear confident but she wouldn't be able to hide how flustered she got whenever I was approaching, anyway.

"Is the guy you're seeing right now comfortable with you talking about nudes with the guy you used to like?" I questioned her. I wouldn't want to go around one day nursing a bruise just because a guy punched me for a petty misunderstanding.

"I guess so... only if I'm still dating him."

My mouth hung open. "You mean to say..." I paused briefly to process what she said.

A small smile threaded across her lips. "It didn't work."

I slowly nodded my head, taking my eyes off her. "Oh, that's... It really happens. I guess."

"Don't you want to know the reason?"

I rose to my feet because I felt like I had an idea why, but I didn't want to hear it from her. And I wasn't just about to go through the same awkward situation. I stretched my arms then buried my hands into my white coat pockets. In one of my fists was a retractable pen. I used to click it when I got too fidgety. The interaction with this woman was making me do it. "I don't think it's my business for me to get involved. See you around."

I ignored Doctor Nam's last remark before I left, but it carved its spot on my head. "Jungkook, you're a freaking coward."

. . .

The first thing that I did after assisting a minor surgery was head to the cafeteria and grab lunch. I had been craving for food even before I was called in the operating room but I had no chance to eat since I was starting on our new clinical research project.

I really should plan my next vacation and take a breather from work.

A factor I should consider was "when?"

A woman walked in. Too familiar to ignore. I was almost taken aback by her deadpan expression, and I thought I should just pretend I did not see her. But I should be at least polite because until now I was feeling remorseful for what I had done to her weeks ago. I seriously asked her to get out of my car midway on her way home! What's wrong with me? No guy in his right mind would do that.

I didn't know why I panicked when her gaze met mine. I waited for her to wave her hand first. Or smile. Or however she wanted to greet me.

She did not do anything.

Soohyun only gave me a static stare. That was less than what I had expected.

I was about to regard her with a nod to appear civil but she had done something I did not see coming at all...

Park Soohyun rolled her eyes at me as she walked past where I was sitting.

What the hell was her problem?

》AUTHOR'S NOTE《

a short chapter to keep the story going :) thank you for 4.64K reads! i really appreciate it :")

have a great day/night!