47

Chapter 47

PARK SOOHYUN

The situation wasn’t at all familiar.

I was expecting Jungkook that day. My father might not go out of his way to say it, but I could tell how much he was also looking forward to meeting my boyfriend as he shuffled around in the kitchen, intent on making the best efforts for our lunch meal and making a fuss over the little things—the placement of the food, how he complained that his favorite dish to cook tasted a bit different from how he usually did it, just a few among the things we wouldn't really notice much if he didn't. Dad never actually said he'd like to meet Jungkook and invite him to our house, but it was obvious he wanted to impress him. He usually approved things silently.

His curiosity about my relationship spooled through his actions instead. Mom let him be and threw me meaningful smiles whenever dad got particularly worked up over minor inconveniences. When he got tired fretting in the kitchen, he sat in the living room, and turned on the TV. He then asked me what time Jungkook was coming, and if he ever was having a problem finding our house as if he didn’t know that Naver Map existed. Jungkook had even driven me home a few times before, though my father was unaware.

This was clearly a big step for me and Jungkook, although I didn't want to make it seem like a big deal. I wanted my parents to like my boyfriend. Even if their opinion of him wouldn’t significantly affect my decision of staying with him, I wanted Mom and Dad to like him for me. I never got the chance to introduce my first boyfriend to my family and Jimin never brought his past relationships home so I didn't have an experience to compare to. This might be too early to say, but I hoped this would be the first and last time I would do this—I wanted Jungkook to be a constant in my life. Not because I was terrified of being alone, not because I might not know what to do on my own after getting used to having him in my life, but because he summed up much of what I loved.

I was pretty sure this was love.

I wasn't thinking yet about wherever this would lead up to, whatever would happen in the future. We hadn’t yet been together for long anyway. Where this might bring us was still a bit vague, and any changes sounded too intimidating to consider but at the moment I just really wanted to be with him. I wanted Jungkook to stay.

I wasn't feeling nervous earlier, however the anxiety started eating away at me when Jungkook was already outside and I was taking in the sight of him as he got out of the car, looking sharp in his dress shirt and slacks. I looked underdressed in comparison—fitted shirt, faded jeans, house slippers. To be fair, he went straight from work.

“Hope you’re mentally and emotionally prepared,” I said as he leaned in to seal our mouths together. Jungkook immediately flinched at my warning, a terrified expression sitting on his face.

“Why?” he breathed.

I snorted, finding his reaction funny. “Was just messing with you. My parents are cool.”

He made a tiny pout which was absolutely adorable before he turned back to reach for something inside his car. Jungkook held a box of dasik for dessert and another brown one in his hands. “I got a tea set. I don’t know anything about tea so I asked the sales clerk which type to get.”

I’d mentioned once to him that my parents liked drinking tea together. I stood there fighting off a smile. "You didn’t have to, but I’m sure they’ll appreciate this.” I hooked my arm with his when we walked into the small yard.

“There’s no way I’m gonna come here empty-handed.”

I pulled him to the side before we reached the doorway. I kept my voice low as I explained, “You’re going to see how much I take after my mother. She talks a lot and she’ll ask you a lot of questions, too. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable once she brings up your job. Can you tell her you switched hospitals before you completed residency at Severance?”