16

Chapter 16

PARK SOOHYUN

I hadn't expected that I'd like Kim Namjoon's personality. He always asked before he could call and had been understanding that I could not be on my phone every time he wanted to talk. We had a similar sense of humor, I believed. That's why when he invited me out to dinner, I quickly agreed and made time for us to meet.

I drove from home and met Namjoon who had reiterated he could have picked me up, both of us opting for Banseoul. I was starting to enjoy his company, but I didn't trust him enough to let him know where I lived.

The food was scrumptious and Namjoon's presence made it even better. I had to occasionally suppress my laughter when he said something to make me laugh, but for the most part, he wowed me with all the information he shared with me and I just knew my mom would instantly approve of him if she heard he was well-moneyed and came from a reputable family. His father was a Governor in Gangwon while his mother set up an arts and culture foundation in the same province. He was interested in running a business and his parents partially funded his bar right after he had graduated from SNU Business School and he was currently finishing his MBA. An eligible bachelor with a promising future.

And he was actually a pretty cool guy.

"What is your type?"

I found it funny how basic the question was. We were done eating and Namjoon had his back leaned against the chair comfortably. In moments that he had no hint of smile on his face, he certainly seemed smart and intimidating. When he looked like that, I worried I might tell him something stupid and ruin the night, but he made sure I was comfortable to act silly.

"Someone who ignores me," I said in attempt to joke.

He let out a chuckle, amused by my answer.

"I wouldn't want to ignore you, Soohyun."

A chuckle escaped my lips. "Hmm, a lot of people wouldn't want to do that, either."

"I was serious when I told you I wanted us to get somewhere."

"It makes me wonder why you're interested. Of course, I know I'm attractive but I don't think that's enough for you to be attracted."

"You're effortlessly funny."

"Should I be offended?"

Namjoon shifted in his seat and smiled. "You don't try too hard to impress people. That's what makes you more charming to me."

I was not able to respond hastily. I stared hard at him, trying to process what he said and my heart was racing. A lot of people told me I was pretty, but only a few claimed I had a unique charm in me. The feeling it brought me was surreal so I had to ask to confirm it was real. "Do you think... that I give off a vibe that..." I got distracted by something on my phone. The name flashed on the screen, and it felt like there was a tug at my chest but I only gave it a quick glance then averted my attention back to Namjoon. "Do I give off a vibe that I'm too much?"

"Too much?"

"Am I too much to handle?"

"You never displayed a certain behavior to imply you're hard to deal with. And you'll never be too much to someone who does not see you as a burden."

I watched his expression more as if to look for a hint that I could use to catch him lying, but the sincerity in his eyes stayed a little longer than I had expected, and I felt the regret in asking him. I should have not questioned that to someone who could potentially not be a part of my life in the following months. There was no guarantee that this would consistently continue. I might do something later that would drive Namjoon away and make him conclude I was not worth his time.