49

Chapter 49

JEON JUNGKOOK

I chose to bury the particulars and didn't think much of the consequences. This time I believed it wasn't necessary.

"So, it's basically playing house?"

"Dad," Soohyun sighed, laying a hand over mine. I blinked hard, eyes sensitive to the glare from the screen. Shifting in my seat next to her, I leaned closer to the laptop to have a clearer view of the video call. A group of nurses who had recognized us walked past our table and greeted us in the hospital cafeteria. I smiled and made a small bow before switching my attention back to Soohyun's parents.

It wasn't the conversation we would've ideally had over a call, but we couldn't squeeze it in any other time without either Soohyun or I holed up in work.

I put a hand on Soohyun's lower back and figured it was my turn to speak, "We just want to make it work in our own way."

"I don't know about you, but when my wife and I were just dating, we tried to make our relationship work without living with each other—until we got married, of course. And I know it's the 21st century but you guys haven't been far into the relationship yet. Think you're speeding things up a bit?"

"I don't think that matters," Soohyun argued.

I probably would have said the same if I were her father—I understood where he was coming. And I was also hoping he'd give us something to be hopeful about—that we'd do well on our own. That we eventually would know how to work through it.

"It does sometimes." Her father shrugged, drinking from his mug. Through the laptop screen, I watched Soohyun's mother stare at his husband's face as if she was considering the whole thing, thinking of words she could bring into the conversation.

Soohyun answered, giving my fingers a gentle squeeze. "Please be supportive."

"You've already decided, kids. I can't change your mind. I'm just giving you my opinion. This isn't me giving my disapproval. Gotta be honest with the both of you, I'm not completely happy about this but I won't get in the way. What do you think, Yul..." He shot his wife a questioning look, willing her to say something. My heart did weird flips in my chest, anticipating what she thought about her daughter and I living together. Although Soohyun was already at the age where she could perfectly decide on her own, I knew she valued her parents' opinions, especially her mother's. She'd be dismayed if her mom had a different sentiment to offer. I didn't want to cause any misunderstandings between them—I didn't have the heart to do that just so I could have it my way.

"You know what you're doing, Soohyun. If that's what you think would be better for the both of you, then go on with it."

I glanced over my shoulder and caught the satisfied smile on Soohyun's mouth.

"Now would be the perfect time to find some flaw in Jungkook. Your guy looks near-perfect, that can't be true," her father cracked the joke in a laid-back tone. Soohyun made a face but I thought it was funny. Her mom and I laughed it off while I leaned back in the chair and put my leg over the other. Soohyun mimicked my actions.

It could've been worse. I huffed out a sigh in relief, happy about the way they took it surprisingly well despite some inhibitions.

. . .

"You really want this, right?"

Soohyun grinned as if she found me ridiculous, tilting her head a little as she stared at me. We were driving on our way to my apartment to settle some stuff. "Baby, what kind of question is that?"