44

Chapter 44

PARK SOOHYUN

"Doesn't look right."

"If I move it back here—alright?"

"A little bit to the left."

"Like this?"

"Looks better."

Jungkook dragged another piece of furniture across the tiny receiving area after having the other one slot perfectly in its corner. I didn't know how he could make cleaning and organizing look effortless while I would sweat with just a slight move.

I had been in his new apartment since the early afternoon after he'd picked me up as soon as his classes finished. It had already been a couple of days after he'd moved in, and I found out that he was almost settled in, just a few things left to be put in all the right places. I could offer just as much as putting little stuff where they looked best, while Jungkook proceeded to tidy his kitchen next. It gave me time to notice the details. The bare walls were of a weak color; there was a lack of contrast. The coffee table was cluttered with a disorganized stack of medical books which he'd busied himself with from the night before. An empty mug sat next to the stack. I must be talking strange if it looked to me that Jungkook was the most alive thing in the room. It calmed me more than anything–to see him there moving around. He could just stand there and I would feel alright.

A box scraped against the floor, a softer version of it.

When I walked to the tiny kitchen to check what Jungkook was doing, he told me that he had just stocked up his groceries, and I watched him note some errands to run, listing them in his phone.

His fringe was swept back into a tiny ponytail, the tied up hairstrands mimicking a sprout. He looked almost flustered when I tried to take a photo, his hand raising to block my phone camera. "I know I'm cute. No pics, please."

"Shame." I cracked a smile, placing my phone back on the kitchen counter that I was leaning over.

Jungkook wiped the sweat off the side of his forehead and said, "I'll just wash up and we can set up your study area."

"Thanks, babe, but don't worry about it. I can revise pretty much anywhere. I could do it on your couch."

"No way, it's uncomfortable. Give me ten minutes." He playfully pinched my cheek although I had tried to swerve when he walked past me.

"Jungkook!" I complained, but I only heard him laughing on his way to his room.

I took a few selfies to pass time and posted a pic on my IG story–one of my potted plants that I gifted to Jungkook way before he'd moved in. He had it sitting on a wooden mini stool which I would guess he bought from the local store he asked me about. Taehyung immediately saw my story and liked it. He was probably on a study break. I went into his DMs and sent heeey, to which he only reacted with a laughing emoji. Seriously?

Once Jungkook came out dressed in a white shirt and knee-length black shorts, he told me, "There's good coffee—really good, I'm telling you," he seemed mad when he said it, so it must be true, "—down the street. I can make a run if you want one."

"Sounds tempting." I might as well have a caffeine boost while I study. Jungkook had asked me to stay the night so I brought my books with me. "We can go together and have coffee to-go." The idea made him smile.

Jungkook quickly took his jacket and slipped it on before we headed out of his unit. We took the elevator down and walked out of the building which was tucked between a laundromat and a nail salon. The area was a lot calmer than downtown Seoul and it looked nothing much like his old place, but it was less crowded and was even less expensive, which worked well in Jungkook's favor. He could manage to save up again, so it meant so much more to him. He was trying to cut down on a few expenses that his current paycheck could not afford, and Jungkook had always been a bit strict with his finances so it wasn't that hard for him to handle it. I didn't want to offer money as that would be imposing, and I understood that money matters could be a sensitive topic for some people. I figured that Jungkook would come to me and ask for my help if it was needed, and I told him that I would be willing to help with anything.