10

Chapter 10

𝑃𝐴𝑅𝐾 𝑆𝑂𝑂𝐻𝑌𝑈𝑁

By the time I was added to the batch group chat, a few of the members had asked me how I was doing. I was unsure whether it was pure curiosity, or they were only forced to ask and tell me they've missed me when in fact, I couldn't find any solid reason why they did.

I told them I was coming to the reunion. Why not, right? As much as I didn't want to ever come across again with my old friends, I should be proud of my achievements. I should be proud of who I had become. Other than that, a part of me wanted to see old faces... I was curious about my colleagues. Of their lives. Three years is long enough to surprise people. I knew a few couple who married right after our graduation. Who knows? Maybe they had kids already. Or they divorced. Life isn't consistent.

I bought an evening gown that hugs me in all the right places. My mother complained that my love handles were a bit visible but I only gave her a shrug. It was hard for me to achieve a flat stomach, and just because I had an attractive face, didn't mean I had to own a supermodel-like body, too. I wasn't fat, but I didn't dream to be so skinny.

I loved my body. I knew I could be sexy whatever size I was. I only had to carry myself well.

It took me a couple of minutes before entering the function room of the hotel where the reunion party was held. For a second, I thought I must have made a wrong decision. I should have not come. But I paid... There was no way I would waste that money just because I didn't want to meet some people here.

Turned out Taehyung was already in the party. I spotted him in the corner talking to the boys that were all familiar to me. He had a glass of wine in his hand, a huge grin spreading across his features. Looked like he was having too much fun.

Chohee was quick to see me, and she excitedly waved her hands at me. I noticed she was with the girls I didn't want to meet again, but I had no other choice but pretend I was happy to see all of them. I lifted my chin, walking to their direction. I instantly saw Gyuri sharply checking me out. Her arm was linked with a man's and when she noticed I was looking at him, a proud smile took over her face like she was showing him off.

I knew she was going to do that.

They all flashed a smile and threw greetings. I tried to answer their questions, catching up with them although it was irritating that no one even cared to ask about my job. They just wanted to know if I had someone special right now and why I came alone.

"You look gorgeous!" Aera told me.

"Thank you. You guys are looking great yourselves." I noticed most of them came with partners.

"Where's your date? Chohee mentioned you were bringing your boyfriend," Gyuri interrupted.

I smiled at her. "I never said that."

"So, he couldn't come with you?"

"I have no boyfriend. I don't remember telling Chohee that I have one to begin with." I side-eyed Chohee and she smiled uncomfortably.

"That's unbelievable. Have men lost interest in you?" She got away with it by laughing it off. Out of all my former friends, she was the one who mostly harboured ill feeling for me. "I was joking. Anyway, meet my fiancé." She introduced his name and I did the same. I thought she was going to drop the lovelife topic but she had the guts to add more to it. "Maybe you're too picky. Lower your standards, I suggest. Is that why you don't have a boyfriend?"

Why did she make it seem like being single was miserable? I definitely don't need your suggestion about my personal life and preference. "What's wrong with setting standards? You shouldn't settle for less for the sake of being in a relationship."