29

Chapter 29

PARK SOOHYUN'S POV

Two doctors in my team found out they passed the surgical board examination today, which also meant I was nearing my last year of surgical residency. The past few months seemed to have just brushed past me and I couldn't recall anything out of ordinary that had happened.

Maybe I could consider this one: Namjoon and I had talked again a month ago. He felt like he had not asked for an apology so he went to see me, wondering if there was a change of heart on my end. It didn't feel too weird, maybe just awkward because I hadn't seen him in a while, maybe there was still a tinge of bitterness somewhere, but I was relieved at the idea that I no longer wanted him back in my life.

Namjoon said he was hoping we could be friends someday. I said I wasn't sure. I left it at that and he did as well, giving me an understanding smile before we parted ways.

That time, it felt like another emotional baggage was thrown out and dumped faraway. Out of sight.

My ex-boyfriend was such a nice man.

We just didn't work out. I didn't want to think that we could have saved us if I just didn't let go too soon. I chose to avoid pointing fingers at anyone.

I was hurt but I was fine.

The weeks that followed were blurry snapshots interspersed with many emotions I couldn't specifically place and efforts of trying to figure shit out. I was failing at the latter but I thought I was good. Life was okay.

I sat down with my Dad for breakfast this morning. Growing up there were a lot of things we didn't agree on, and my mother was usually the go-between, trying to talk it out with my father which included defending me and telling him just to let me do my own stuff. I could say I loved my mom more, but I had no heart being up-front about it. Jimin would tell everyone our father was the best dad in the world though.

We talked some things over. Had I planned anything else for my career? I told him once I got my surgical license I would start thinking what I would do with myself. Everyone around me thought I was old and I had to rush doing something impactful. I could get married. I could start a family. But if I did that soon, would I put questions to rest? They wouldn't end there. I just wanted to get some sort of peace first. I honestly didn't know how.

Then Dad said if I needed someone to talk to, he was always available.

Talking used to be an unhealthy option for the both of us because whatever we said, it would lead to an argument or a petty misunderstanding. But this time it felt like the most reassuring thing.

. . .

Jungkook

hi. coffee?

I finished my case presentation an hour ago. I would've come with you if you'd asked earlier. I'm attending a surgical service meeting with Doctor Won in a few minutes. I'm sorry.

aww okay! No worries :)

I want to join you, though.

next time!

Should we get dinner with taehyung later?

As much as I want to, I can't make it. We're treating the new residents out.

I forgot you have new members today. It's fine.